1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga 2 1/2 in shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alpineinc, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpineinc

Alpineinc TS Member

Looking for reloading data for 20ga. 2 1/2 in shells
    preferrably for RST hulls
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

Sorry first time loading pictures on site

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Go to Ballistic Products website.. They sell wads.. hulls.. crimper.. and furnish loading data..

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So lets see a couple pictures of that nid. It is a prize. Bill

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

2 1/2" 20 Gauge shells are for a really old shotgun, like a pre-1924 Model 12. As you've been advised, Ballistic Products is the place to go.

It must be a Winchester you need shells for, what other kind is there?

5. Alpineinc

Alpineinc TS Member

I went to the Ballistic Products site but didn't find anything on 2 1/2 inch shell reloading only lite 2 3/4 inch

Here are a few pics of my 410 28inch Full Full 1st year production
    Thanks for your help on the reloading
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

RST uses Cheddite hulls, so you have some starting data. Federal Target & Fiocci are, likewise, straight-wall, low-basewad, so the data is interchangeable if you don't get a case of manglumitis.

I'm assuming you are wanting upland & target-type loads, yes? 1200-1250fps & 7/8oz?

Other than fitment (below), 2¾" 20ga <i>IS</i> a 2½" 20ga: assuming the same components, the shorter shell does not build up more pressure than the 2¾".

You'll have two issues loading a short shell: you need a fine(R) grain powder, and you need a short(ER) wad.

- Unique or Universal is about as coarse as you can go, and Longshot, ProReach and 20/28 are finer and less bulky than U or U. (If you have some '20ga powders' on hand, like 800X, Herco, Blue Dot or IMR4756, and want to use them, they will work fine, but, likely, you'll have to add some wad pressure to close anything around or over 18gn.)

- THE wad you'll want to use is the Gualandi G2015. Grafs carries them, and BPI does under their name 'Sporting Short Wad'.

Hodgdon had data for Ched & Fio hulls and G2025 and G/BP20 wads. Ballistically, they are identical to the G2015, just longer.

Now ... like Bill said, can we see some pics?

Bob

7. Alpineinc

Alpineinc TS Member

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That's very nice 410'er. Are you going to show the 20? :)

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Call Ballistic Products.. I have seen nothing here that resembles loading data that is tested.. Many of the 2.5" chambered guns are proofed to a lower PSI/LIP than what we see today.. Ballistic products is the leader in the industry for loading short shells.. fully tested data in a proper ballistics lab.. The.. "it looks good to me"..or "I saw no indications of pressure".. just don't cut it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.