1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga 1 oz load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mod 12, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mod 12

Mod 12 TS Member

I am looking for a good 1 oz 20 ga.load with the least possible recoil. I used Winchester 540 and I am now trying HS 6. I also shot some new Federal 1 oz field loads and found them softer than Remington STS 20 ga. 1 oz. If anybody knows of another powder, it would be much appreciated.
    PS I am looking for something in the 1200 fps or lower for shooting trap.
    Thanks
    John/Mod 12

2. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Give longshot a try it's a joke for a powder in the 12 but makes some really nice loads in both the 20 and 28. 571/HS7 makes some nice feild loads in the 20 too, for data go to the hogdon reloading website

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Blue dot @ 1250 with 1oz 7 1/2 for early pheasants

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I played around with some one ounce 20ga for awhile. The biggest problem is finding a wad that'll work. The only real readily available one ounce wad is the Rem SP20, which is highly priced and overly fragile (wad explodes into fragments when firing). Alot of powders suitable for one ounce are so dense that even with the correct amt of shot, if you use a sp20 wad, they crimps dish WAYY in

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

HS6 and 540 are the same powder. HMB

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I use the same shell that I use for skeet. 7/8 oz of 8.5's @ 1200fps do the trick for me. I just change from a SK1 to IM. 1 oz loads just have too much recoil to shoot in my BPS.

ec90t

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

571/HS7 is the best powder that I have found for the 1 oz. The problem for you will be the wad I use which is the Win. WAA20F1 which is not made any longer. I have used the SP20 which works OK and actually forms a better crimp in the AA.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Try working with Herco & Rem 1 oz wads in a taper hull. The Herco is bulky for good crimps,flake powder so no migration worries & gives good pressure levels. Use Fed 20S1 in a straight wall case with Herco.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

19 grains of 7625 in a Federal case, I used RP20, maybe Federal is the only one left.

HM

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Man am I glad I have several bags of WAA20F1's. I loaded a bunch of 7/8 oz 20's at about 1375 in Fed field hulls for dove with Longshot this year. Awsome load. Fast enough that leads required are short if at all. Haven't tried 1 oz yet but noise and recoil were surprisingly minimal in the 7/8 oz. and this in a gun that weighs about 6 pounds. The crimps were dished with a Rem 7/8 oz wad in the Fed hull so I put a wheat pops type cereal pellet on top of each load. That made the crimps perfect and they still patterned fine so the cereal pellet didn't seem to effect the pattern. I tried to put it on the bottom but it stuck in the drop tube. Maybe it crushes to powder on ignition setback and buffers the shot. I better patent that. Doug's new high-tech load buffer only .05 each by the cheap "large volume generic" plastic bag full.

11. ATT

ATT Member

I may be wrong, but I'm sure it should be 800x not 700x. Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz 20 ga loads

20 ga 1 oz reloads
20ga 1oz load
20ga 1oz load data 4227
best load for 1oz 20ga fed hull
good 20 ga load