1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20/28 powder used in 12 ga loading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Andy44, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've used it for 1oz loads with great results. 23gr pushing DownRange TGT12 wads with either Cheddite or Wolf primers. Great powder if you shoot both 12 & 20 gauge guns.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The problem with the really low pressure loads is that you will get incomplete burns, inconsistent velocities, and punky/blooper shells. Powder needs pressure to burn properly and completely.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any excessive unburned powder in the barrel? My specific experience is in reference to 1oz loads using Universal Clays. Couldn't get it to work with Win primers, had to switch to Fed 209As to up the pressure a touch to get a complete burn.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ian, I had a similar experience using Universal in handgun loads. It left so much unburned powder behind from .38 Special and .357 Magnum target loads that flakes would fall from extracted cases, covering the shooting bench. And as I learned, all it takes is one flake behind the extractor star of a Smith & Wesson revolver to prevent the cylinder from closing. It did work better in the .44 Magnum for target loads but I found Titegroup beats anything else in accuracy and burns cleanly, too.

I emailed Hodgdon's about the problem with Universal and they told me it has to be used with closer to maximum loads before it will burn completely.

On the other hand, I load lighter-than-usual charges of PB (19.5 grains in STS cases with Remington primers and an ounce of shot) and it burns cleanly with no bloopers in cold weather. But Fred and I have exchanged some emails about 20/28 and I am going to try some of it in my trap loads. I HAS to be less expensive than PB!

Ed

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

You pays your money you gets your choice...but loads below 9000psi are probably going to give inconsistent velocities and patterns especially in cold weather. I personally like them at about 10000psi.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Why use more powder that costs more (than Promo) to get the same ballistics? Cost for powder $.58/box for Promo (17 gr @ $75/jug) , $1.05 for 20/28 (21.7 gr @ $108/jug). A premium of .47/box - 81% increase powder cost.

I would pay a premium to realize an advantage. That is why I use 1 1/8 oz of shot. The premium is $.28/box to use 1 1/8 vs 1 oz with $36/bag shot.

Just curious.

Don Verna

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Fred, I will and I'm glad you did!

Ed

8. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

For years I have used 700x for my 12,20,28. shot Doves,Crows,etc no problems with any of the three gauges. Hope this helps

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'm in the Don Verna camp here. There's only one thing thats scares me about Promo, and that's that some day Alliant might raise the price! Like, Fred, I've dumped so many of those Promo 8# kegs I couldn't even count 'em all...

Jon Reitz

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

USMR

It looks like a niche application that suits you well. 6750 PSI is too low for my comfort level as I shoot in Michigan during the winter.

I doubt powder has much effect on patterns or I would be using the expensive stuff. I cannot see any difference in breaks between, Promo, Red Dot, Clays, Green Dot, International Clays. (The only powders I have used for Trap loads).

Don Verna

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Alliant seems to have the most unique (no pun intended) ability to compete with themselves of any powder company.

When 20/28 was being developed, it's name WAS going to be 'e4', in other words, another Unique-ish/Green Dot-ish powder.

Since they already had e3, a Bullseye-ish/Red Dot-ish powder. Why not keep progressive branding?

If you can't be entertained by Alliant, you have no sense of whimsy any longer.

Bob

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

USMCR,

I would be mightily surprised if you had any (serious) cold issues with 20/28, as it is from the same chemical family as e3 & AS, and they are cold-tolerant.

If you like the load, but are anxious of the cold, switch primers to either an F209A or a CCI-M ... either of which solves EVERY 'cold issue' ... including Blue Dot.

Freezer test is always a good idea.

Bob

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes Marine, Would you please let us know of the outcome of your cold test!!! I'm sure I am not the only one interested. break em all Jeff

14. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I shoot the winter leagues in Western New York and have never had a bad load by following this simple procedure. Take your shells from your 'warm' house and put them into a thermal bag with a hand warmer.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.