1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20/28 powder do you like it for 20 ga. loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have been loading w/ Universal clays, but its to hard to find right now and thinking about trying 20/28 for my 20 ga. loads in Win. hulls,with Win prim's and wads at 15.5 grains. I would like your opinions on this load??? Does the 20/28 powder meter well with a Mec Grabber?? Can't find a Bushing chart for Alliant's powder so what bushing should I start with for l5.5 grains of powder?? Thank you for looking. Break-em all. Jeff

2. qshot

qshot TS Member

Pull&mark

I have used 20/28 in both 20 and 28 it is a really good powder in every way.

As for a powder bushing you can get load data on alliant powder web site.

ry it you will like it.

Charlie

3. hdskip

hdskip Member

#21 bushing got me very close but had to add tape to in side to get 15.5 gr.

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I use 20/28 for 20 and 28 ga and have found it to be a very good powder and meters very well from my mec9000.........In my loader - my #19 bushing drops a considtant 14.9 grains (doesnt mean yours will) and that works very well with 7/8 oz in my 20 ga.

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I like it in 20 gauge loads. It takes a smaller bushing than either the Univeral or Unique. You can get the recipes on the Alliant site and the bushing on the Mec site. I find the bushings on the Mec site are usually about 1 off erring on the light side.

6. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I found that the Claybuster wad in AAHS hulls with 20/28 powder delivered consistent, flat crimps with 7/8 oz of shot. I liked the load. 20/28 is a lot denser powder than Unique and so it works better here. It meters about as well as any.

The 20/28 pressures are lower than I like in 28 ga AAHS and I thus prefer to stay with Unique in the 28.

- - Bill

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

20/28 is a slightly faster burning powder than Unique, so the pressure should be higher than Unique, all else being equal.

BTW - I really like it for my 20ga loads! Works great for 12ga as well, but you won't find data for it. Truly one powder for everything except 410.

AndyH ;-)

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Highflyer, thats because Mec's charts are also for the single stage machines that throw a heavier charge becase the powder has time to compact better between drops. Thank You for the Mec website heads up for bushings in powder, I could not find one on Alliant's. site. Now I'll have to see how hard it is to get that powder. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 28 powder bushing chart

20 28 powder loads

20 28 powder review

28 aa hs load chart mec