1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20/28 POWDER ALLIENT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I'M WOUNDERING IF ANY ONE HAS USED THIS POWDER FOR RELOADING 28 GAUGE.

MY QUESTION IS
    1. IS THIS A GOOD POWDER TO START WITH...I HAVE NEVER RELOADED 28 GAUGE
    2.IS THERE A BETTER POWDER TO START WITH THATS BETTER ON THE HULLS SINCE THERE A LITTLE HARDER TO FIND THAN 12 GAUGE.
    3. ONE MORE IS THE RED DUSTER A GOOD WAD TO USE FOR THE 28 GAUGE.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

JEFF

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm using it now. I loaded with HS-6, or the identical discontinued Winchester 540, for 30 years. It takes up a little more space than HS-6 but less than Unique. Cheaper than HS-6 and seems more readily available.

Wad choice depends on the hull. I load the Claybuster HS wad in the HS hulls as they are a lot cheaper than the Winchester HS wads and I can tell no difference in performance. I have several cases of the Winchester 28 ga wads that were for the old AA hulls and I use them in both old AAs and STS hulls.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Universal Clays and a Remington PT-28 wad work well. HMB

4. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

jeff, easy with that caps button. What kinda hulls do you have? if win, the old AA or the new HS hull.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, Alliant 20/28 is an excellent powder for 28 ga reloading. It is a dense powder, and makes stuffing everything into the 28 ga hull a bit easier. Likewise, the Red Duster is an excellent wad. What makes it all come together, however, is the hull you are using and the load you have in mind. I also like Longshot powder and Remington PT-28 wads. It all depends on the load.

6. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

sorry for the caps button....I have some vision problems with the computer screen. and it makes it easier to see is all. no aggression just aging eyesight from to many hours under the microscope.

7. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

the hulls I will be using are as listed
    1. I have about 600 estates hulls
    I have 20 boxes of new winchester aahs's
    3. about 20 boxes of remington sporting clays gold case new shells

I bought the new shells cheap, I know that eventually i'll have to reload.

thank you all for the help.

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Yes, Alliant 20/28 is an excellent powder for 28 ga reloading. It also workd very well in the 20 ga - a one-stop-shop for powder for those 2 guns -----

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The Red Duster wads are very good to use. You can use them in the old style Win. AA's and the STS's hull's with no problems. You need to use the HS wad in a HS hull and the Fed. (Estate's) will need yet another wad as well. You can find a few that will work in the Estate's and the STS's together, but still need a different one for the Win. HSAA's. I would only use the Estate's once and toss them anyway. You may also have to do some adjusting on your reloader to load all 3 as well. Its easier to load just one type at a time. I like and use Universal Clays powder for the 20's and 28's I load, But have heard of some good things with Alliant's newer 20/28 powder. I just never have tried it yet. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.