1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 - 28 Alliant Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ILClaysshooter01, Dec 15, 2016.

1. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

Just picked up 8 lb of 20-28 powder and wanted to load some 20 ga AA. The recipe I have calls for 15.7 grains for 7/8 ounce of shot. The problem is with my P/W loader I can't seem to find a bushing that will drop 15.7 gr. I used a D1 bushing and it drops 14.2 if I go to a E bushing it drops 16.2 Gr. I don't think they make a D2. I used a Hornady 345 busing an it dropped 14.5 gr. The next larger I believe is a 354 which I don't have. Has anyone loaded 20 ga using 20-28 and what bushing did you use to get to 1200 ft per sec. for a 7/8 load?

Thanks for your help.

2. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Put a dash of electrical tape inside your E Bush. Add more or trim a little until you get what you need.

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

A small piece of tape or clear fingernail polish inside the "E" bushing will get you down to what you need.

4. lexusclays

lexusclays Member

PW does not make a D2 bushing. However, Hornady does make a .354, which will drop about 15.6, depending on your loader. If they made a .356, it would drop 15.7 on a progressive every time. Spolar made me the .356 specifically for the exact load above. Loads very nicely in the AA-HS hulls and burns very clean. Great performer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    ILClaysshooter01 thanked this.
  5. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

354 for first lot I loaded 360 for the lot I'm using now . But a piece tape will work just fine. I've done that many times for extra fine tuning.

6. 1240fps

1240fps TS Member

I month ago I tried a few 20 gauge loads with 20/28. I used both Downrange orange duster and Rem RXP-20 wads, Win primer and 7/8 oz of shot.
    In a gun club hull, bushing #360 was 15.55 grs and went 1242 fps, SD 10 over the Ohler 35P.
    In a Win HS AA hull bushing #363 was 15.74 grs = 1250 fps, SD 8.
    Win HS AA hull I changed to the RXP-20 wad and bushing #366 at 15.96 grs. 1236 fps and SD 9.
    Believe it or not I then bought 8 pds of Universal because that power also works well with 3/4 oz loads where 20/28 is a bit iffy. Good luck. Bob

7. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

Thanks for the help. I think I will try a 354 bushing.

8. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

I have had difficulty in finding the hornady bushings that I wanted. I went to an adapter and MEC bushings which are everywhere. Not sure if the adapter, which I bought on ebay, would work on a PW.

9. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

It will work on Pw ,spolar ,hornady and rcbs all of those use the same size bushing. The only difference I think PW uses letters the others use the ID of the actual bushings.

10. mas cerveza

mas cerveza Member

I had the same problem with the MEC. I wanted 13 or so grains for a 28 gauge load and the 16 bushing was only putting out 12.7 on average. A 17 wasn't available locally, but an 18 was. I bought the 18 and put a small sliver of duct tape in their to get what I wanted. I measured the powder with a powder scale a little more frequently and it worked fine. Good luck.

11. lofat2222

lofat2222 Member

I never understood PW`s codes for bushing ID diameter. I believe the only way to get consistent accurate drops is to have bushings marked in thousand`s of an inch, stepping up or down in .002 increments: .356,.358,.360/ etc. This way you can get the exact drop you need whatever the difference in powder lots are. I know the tape & nail polish will work, however I feel much better with the correct bushing & weighed charge. I`ve etched all my old PW bushings in thousand`s & only buy Hornandy now for just this reason.

12. ABH

ABH Member

Hornady bushings are the way to go!

ABH.

13. Icemon

Icemon Active Member

A while back I acquired a bunch of old Texan bushings , they too use some letter designation so I made an adaptor then measured the ID and marked them . I have so many of them I don't think I'll ever need to buy another bushing as long as I live .

14. gregpete

gregpete Active Member

Midway usually carries almost all Hornsby bushings in stock. You can buy one that is close and sand out the unit to the specific diameter

15. bubbajack

bubbajack Member

I would buy the $8.00 adapter for use with the MEC bushings...available...cheap...and they work very well.

16. Ronsl

Ronsl TS Member

i also use the MEC adapter in my PW Platinum. No problems, no concerns.

gregpete thanked this.
  17. gregpete

gregpete Active Member

Either close down size of the larger bushing or use ores followed by fine sandpaper to enlargerca smaller bushing tuned specifically for that load

18. Von Riesen

Von Riesen Member

The tape idea works, just take your time putting it in.

19. K80pro#8

K80pro#8 Member

1+ on the above tape idea.
    I recommend still measuring your lead and powder output for quality assurance, but it is an easy method to get your desired powder drop without buying different bushings.

20. PatR

PatR Member

Either buy an additional D1 bushing and hone it out slowly or get the Mec Adapter bushing. Jim Cumming of Jim's Eye and ear in FL sells them both. I have done both ways and I like the Mec adapter better. I have used it on other powder as well. I load 20/28 for 20 and it loads good for me. Make sure you mark the altered bushing so if you change loads you know which bushing you are using. I measure my loads every time I start up just to make sure I am loading the load I want.