1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20/28 Alliant powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jun 24, 2009
    20/28 was originally going to be 'e4', and yes, it is a good 12ga powder with some limitations and quirks.

With 20/28 in 12ga, Alliant has created yet another powder to compete with itself - insanity!

Alliant has some 12ga loading data for it, but I'm not sure it is published, nor where.

I've played with it maybe a pound's worth, for 24gm loads with T-2 wads in eurotrash cases, but I have no tested data. It went boom and the bird died, tho.

It's worth a call to Ben.

2. shrek

shrek Member

Mar 31, 2006
    there are some loads listed for 12 gauge in the newest manual.

I use it for 20 gauge and like it for that very well.

I have not tried it for 12, and probably won't.
  3. woodski

woodski Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I too like 20/28 for 20ga loads and I'm loading some now for my 12ga sporting clays 1 1/8oz loads. Alliant's published this 1 1/8oz load on their web site Remington STS/Gunclub hulls, 21.6 grns of 20/28, Clay Buster 1 1/8 wad, Win 209 primer, at 1250 fps & 8920 psi. For this speed load it looks to be pretty soft shooting I hope. I will report back by test patterns, etc. Bob W
  4. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I like it for both 20 gauge and 12 gauge. Since you mention 12 gauge loads, I will comment on my experience with the 12. I use a Rem hull, fig8 wad, Nobel primer, 23 grains of 20/28 and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's. They pattern very well in my gun, and the chronograph shows that they are consistent shell to shell each time I have tested 5 shot groups, with an average variance of 15 fps or so. Additionally Alliant has a 1 1/4 recipe that measures 1250fps also. I occasionally use these for games, and the recoil is not excessive. I like the fact that you can use the 1 1/8 load at 1250fps and the 1 1/4 load at 1250fps with no noticeable effect in lead. They shoot the same to me. The only disadvantage that some may find is because of the low pressure they are a little dirty. Thats not an issue with me because I don't mind cleaning my gun.
    Admittedly there are other powders out there that will work as well as 20/28. This whole reloading and shooting game is mainly a matter of preference anyway. I just like the 20/28, at least for now!
  5. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Try Alliant American Select for 12 ga. It's the cleanest powder I've ever used and has light recoil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.