1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 20 On hand Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I saw an advertisment last evening that 20-20 will be airing a show on Handdguns and self defense this comming Friday night. Should be interesting to see what happens and whcih side of the issue the media takes on this one or will it be unbiased?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If its done by John Stossel, it may indeed be on the side of the gun guys.

We can only hope.

3. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

I saw a preview on it this morning on Good Morning America. The lead in was about the current gun violence. Then they showed a guy whose sister was killed in the Va Tech Shooting and they gave him a bunch of money to go into a gun show and see what he could buy. First thing he does is walk up to a guy outside of a gun show in the parking lot and hands the guy $450 cash and buys a glock with no transfer. They said "wait till you see what else he buys!" Looks like a place for the new administration to start building a case for new legislation. But wait...when the guy walks up and buys a glock with no transfer...no one says there is a current law that prohibits selling a handgun with no transfer. They just show how "easy" is was to buy this glock outside the show.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

We're Screwed..

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Yep, they will push this as a start to control either through ammo or actual purchases.

Trappy, what did you and your boys say before the election?

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Go to any town on the right corner with $450 and see how much dope you can buy in about ten minutes, and there is a total ban on drugs. Is it working?

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, I'm sure it will be completely unbiased.<br>
    <br>
    Uh huh.

8. Customstox

Customstox Member

bilm67 "no one says there is a current law that prohibits selling a handgun with no transfer." Only if there is some state law, there is no federal law that prohibits selling a handgun in your own state without a transfer.

from ATF FAq's

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

9. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

I stand corrected....the requirement to transfer a handgun is a Pennsylvania law. Regardless....it still makes gun owners look careless on a new program like this buying and selling in the parking lot.

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

With all due respect, you know not of what you speak (write).

One individual can sell firearms to another individual without breaking Federal law. Go to any trap club and watch it happening. Go to any gun show and watch it happening. Some states, not Texas, have passed state laws that affect transfers. I don't know about them. I don't nor would live in those states.

HBT

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm now confused. Let me state an actual scenario that happened to me. A friend of mine had a nice gun for sale via the gun store at the local shotgun shooting park in Los Angeles. I traded him for the gun. He asked the store clerk for the gun and handed it to me. A month or so later, we were called into the "principal's office" (by the lady owner of the store) and told that we had to complete a transfer for the trapgun and that I would have to wait ten days to pick up the gun. We were told that a federal law was involved, and my friend and I could get into legal trouble for a federal crime were we not to complete a new DROS. We were told that the law, at lest per their instructions from the BATF, require that if one has a gun with them on consignment, but later takes the gun back, a DROS has to be completed and there will be a ten day wait. I believe this applies after a certain period of time.

(I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I recall during the last decade buying a SKS and walking out of the store with my curio!! Yeah, a multi-shot self loading rifle. (Still have it, a nice Russian one btw..) And then I recall having to wait for a one shot trapgun!!)

The "thinking" behind this is that during the period of time when the gun is with the dealer, the buyer could get into some kind of trouble wherein he or she is banned from owning a firearm, e.g., domestic abuse, on the run from the law, convicted but on parole for robbing a GM dealer or the like..

DROS: Dealer Record of Sale; I believe is a federal form, but I never paid too much attention.

12. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

You can be the Governor of New Jersey for about 68 million dollars.

Jere

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Chango2,

If one puts a gun on consignment with a FFL a 4473 must be filled out for the owner to take the gun back OR for the FFL to sell the gun. The 10-day wait is a state law (see my above comment on state laws). If the owner takes the gun he fills out the 4473. If the buyer takes the gun from the FFL he fills out the form. The feds get involved only when an FFL is in the loop. If the owner takes the gun and he fills out the form he can sell it to another individual w/o a 4473.

HBT

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

It appears you don't KNOW the question, much less AN answer.

With all due respect, of course.

HBT

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Old Tex has it right unless there are state regulations that don't allow a person to person trade or sale. If a gun enters a place of business for sale or consignment the only way it can ever leave is with the completion of a 4473.(other than sending a gun for repair and then the owner must complete a 4473 to pick up) I frequently buy guns from folks I know and from the same state without 4473's and its legal. Jackie B.

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Section b on the ATF web site covers this at the url listed above. I cut and pasted part of it.

B. UNLICENSED PERSONS
    (B1) To whom may an unlicensed
    person transfer firearms under the
    GCA?
    A person may sell a firearm to an
    unlicensed resident of his State, if he
    does not know or have reasonable
    cause to believe the person is prohibited
    from receiving or possessing
    firearms under Federal law. A person
    may loan or rent a firearm to a resident
    of any State for temporary use
    for lawful sporting purposes, if he
    does not know or have reasonable
    cause to believe the person is prohibited
    from receiving or possessing
    firearms under Federal law. A person
    may sell or transfer a firearm to a
    licensee in any State. However, a
    firearm other than a curio or relic may
    not be transferred interstate to a licensed
    collector.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27
    CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed
    person acquire a firearm
    under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm
    within the person’s own State,
    except that he or she may purchase
    or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun,
    in person, at a licensee's premises
    in any State, provided the sale
    complies with State laws applicable
    the State of sale and the State where
    the purchaser resides. A person may
    borrow or rent a firearm in any State
    for temporary use for lawful sporting
    purposes.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27
    CFR 478.29 and 478.30

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

10 pm tonight....worth a watch, take your blood pressure meds first!

18. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There was a thread on here earlier advising everyone who watched, to keep track of the advertisers and them call them and voice your disgust with them supporting the anti gun scum. I have my pen and paper ready. Larry

19. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

pitifully ANTI, yet they claimed that they would not be.....

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This is disgusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.