1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 sided tape??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Capt.Ron/FL, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Capt.Ron/FL

Capt.Ron/FL Member

What type and if possible brand of 2 sided tape is used for attaching A Devalt delrin rib?? Also how much tape is used, full length, under bead, center and backend??

Thanks, Ron

2. Retxt

Retxt Member

3m, works great, full length, if you need to remove take a piece of fishing line and run under rib. Use a sawing motion, after rib is off use your thumb and start rubbing, it will roll up under your thumb. Hope this helps.

3. B.C.

B.C. Member

What Retxt wrote but it is important to use a Degreaser on the metal!B.C.

4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

what kind of degrease?my add a rib has come off twice using tape.

5. brownk80

brownk80 Member

lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol.

6. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

The best degreaser I have ever used is lacquer thinner.Works awesome!!!

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i use quite a few clamps to hold in place overnite--

also warm up barrel and delrin, seems like tape sticks better!!!

i use rubbing alcohol to clean each surface

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

You can also use the 3M auto trim tape. You can't remove it like the foam tape though. It is extremely strong bonding.

9. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Some two-side tape is just too thick, (imo). I found the 3-M product, "3M 300LSE" works wonderful, and is super thin. A little difficult to work with because of how (less-than) paper thin it really is, but worth the extra effort. I spray Rem-oil on the gun barrel, over a year now and has not effected the bond between the rib and cross-fire rail. good luck, Matt Nicol

10. B.C.

B.C. Member

Spray Brake cleaner on a rag . Don't get it on any wood also on any Case colored receivers ! Hope this helps. B.C.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have done several add on ribs and use the 3M tape from a auto parts store. I also made a wooden set up for my vice about 10 inches long. I install the rib making sure it is centered correctly and then clamp it in the vice sliding it along applying a fair amount of pressure along the whole rib a vice is very strong so use caution the mechanical advantage is wonderful but needs common sense and is worth the effort the bond is so solid.. When done the rib is ready to shoot instantly the cleaning is a must and I rough up the bottom of the rib a slick surface is not what you want !! Also if the tape is too wide apply it along one edge of the original rib leaving the top of the tape still covered dip a box cutter in alcohol and slice the excess off the overhanging side with a share blade it will run right down the side of the rib. Then peal off the top and apply rib whala. I just added a rib to my Beretta 680 unsingle an shot it yesterday for POI and it came out awesome.