1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2" Reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I like my 2" guns, too.

I have seen a jig made to be used on a table-saw: basically a 2x2 with a bunch of holes drilled through it that is slid down the fence and whatever is sticking out is lopped off.

That handles 5-6-8 hulls at a time, and I didn't think much of how smooth the hull-mouth was left, but that may have more to do with the blade that the method.

The very best, cleanest, fastest, neatest hull-trimmer made is by Josh at leadtradingpost.com: you can trim a large bag of hulls in an episode of ~American Idol~ and not miss a note.

With a MEC, it is pretty easy to make a Hartin Crimp, even on 2", if you like roll crimps, that is.

Bob

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I need to get the machines set up to run more of these, but here is a picture of the one that I make.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    Josh

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bob has the right idea - if you want to do a lot of them.

You need a special blade to cut plastic. Google it.

You could also use a tool like the one sold by Motordoc (Unloader) but modified to cut hulls to length. It uses a blade and makes a very clean cut. You might get 3-400/hour.

You will likely need to skive the hulls after cutting them to length. Ballistic Products sells a tool to skive hulls.

Don Verna

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

A fine tooth blade on a band saw will work. Set up a fence on the table and keep the brass flat against the fence and you will get a good cut. Watch your fingers. I have tried several of the cutters offered (not the one above) and wasn't happy with them. You can only cut off 1/4" at a time so you have to make three cuts. Takes a lot of time and your hand gets sore in a hurry.

Also, do a roll crimp with a drill and the special bit. Makes a great looking load and it gives you more room inside the hull for components. Email me if I can help you out. I went through a long learning curve on 2" shells.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

That's the beauty of Josh's tool: you can adjust the bull-nut and use 3½" hulls and come out with 2" in one cut ... PLUS his does paper hulls!!! ... and 16ga, and 10ga, and 20ga with different dildos for the same cutter.

If he can lower the pre-crimp and get a decent bite, put a couple of nickles under the crimp-station and just do Hartin Crimps.

I've had the same loads roll- and Hartin-crimped tested and there's no difference in pressure or velocity.

Bob

6. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

Rev -

Would like some some onfo on your 2" loads - I reload this also for grouse and woodcock - both with roll and standard crimps - drop me an email sxs28ga@windstream.net - I use BP's tool for cutting down hulls - Have found the Federal top gun cases with paper base wad work well - I only use them once as there is just about an unlimited supply - thanks
    John Mroczka

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I use an aluminum rod that fits the shell. I clamp a sharp kitchen knife in a vise, blade up, and run the "shell on a rod" over the blade like a rolling pin. The cut off pieces are pushed up the rod when the next shell is inserted. Not awfully fast, but neat cuts. On second thought, it is as fast as you could do them one at a time on a band saw.

8. pdq

pdq Member

Another possible solution.

Buy 2" shells from RST, shoot them, and then reload them.

Pete

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hodgdon has a couple of 2" loads, for Rem & Win hulls using the Gulandi G-17 & G-14 wads.

I have used both of those wads in Federal Papers, and they are excellent, as is the WAA12-RED wad.

My preference is to use card & fiber stacks, 24gm - 7/8oz of lead shot and a "2¾dram" load of whatever IMR powder I have to hand. I can tell no performance difference in: 15gn of 700X, 20gn or PB or 24gn of 7625.

Last year, I shot Teal, Snipe and Marsh Hens with 15/16oz of #4 Bismuth, G-1712 wad and 22gn of PB and it was like hunting baby seals in a telephone booth.

Bob

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I posted this years ago but I know it's gone. I use my Dremmel with a dimond blade to cut open bad shells.

(1) board 4" x 12"
    (1) big gob of body fill.
    (1) piece of plastic food wrap, big enough to cove board.
    (2) small eye hooks
    (2) large rubber bands.
    (1) Dimond wheel (mine came 4 to a pack with spindle) About $5.00 at Harbor Fright

Place big gob of filler on board the lenght of your Dremmel, cover with plastic wrap and press dremmel ( on-off switch up) into filler. Let set until hard. You now have an impression of the Dremmel on the wood.

Put the eye hooks two on each side, place Dremmel in filler form and hold down with two large rubber bands, the kind from celery or asparagues. Dimond blade ( I got mine at Harbor Fright, cheap) in Dremmel use 2 small pieces of wood to make a stop for the shell and to get the depth right.

Works great for cutting open bad shells. Set the blade at the wad base were it compresses. This will also work to make your 2" shells. 1 quick full turn and the shell is in two. You can cut a full box in about 4 mins. Works great, no tired fingers.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The VERY best roll-crimp tool made any more is Precision Reloading's. It has four 'ramps' and is, otherwise' a Lyman 4-knob tool. I think RSI's may be the same tool, or another Lyman knock-off.

Smooth, accurate & fast.

Bob

12. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

You guys have way to much time on your hands.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Fun to shoot.. You can roll crimp just about anything.. I use a piece of steel pipe trimmed to length..for the different shells I load.. That and a razor knife yields a few hundred per hour.. More than enough for the little playing I do..

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use an old Pacific 150 to resize my brass.. There are no issues.. I usually use a slice of the Ljutic monowad..with a thin card wad.. With the loads I use.. I'm thinking 1100 fps.. with 3/4oz of shot.. 6800psi That's close..

The best cases for pretty are old AA's.. but I can roll crimp just about anything.. I use cases 1 time..as the roll does not come out.. and reloading them is difficult.. Actually.. I probably give away alot of my 1 7/8" weenie shells to those who marvel at them.. And yes.. they do break birds.. Properly chambered in my old 34" Husky full/full hammergun, it's a formadible combination from the 16 yard line..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.