1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 questions about S&W revolvers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

1) How do the new "classic" model revolvers compare to the original models?
    2) What is the real difference between a 586 and a 6-shot 686 model?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 629 Classic is equipped with a full lug barrel, and the standard 629 has the half lug. The 629 Classic is also available with a 5" barrel.

The 586 Smith is carbon steel (blue). The 686 is stainless steel.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 586 and the 686 are the same gun. The 686 is stainless and the 586 is not. If you are thinking about getting a S&W revolver the older ones are better than the new ones. HMB

4. tomk2

tomk2 Member

don't forget about the built in gun malfunctioning device... er.. I mean integral gun lock now standard on all SW revolvers for the last 4 or 5 years.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

One more reason to buy an old one. HMB

6. new loader

new loader Member

Not all 586 are blue. Here's a nickle one. I have seen stainless models as well. But I don't know how they differ mechanically.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I always like the recessed rims on some of the older ones

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Didn't realize that classic was new, I've had a 29 Classic for 20+ years

9. Shooting Coach

This makes me feel OLD, but the 44 mag has been with us long enough (1956) that first year production Smith M-29's qualify for Curio and Relic status (groan)

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

John;

Try 1941 and parents who used to relate my birth in Febuary to the cause of Pearl Harbor being bombed.

Rollin

11. Shooting Coach

HA! I started loading the 44 in 1958. The loading manuals were not nearly as conservative" as they are now. Their max loads would often lock up a gun or blow a primer! I loaded 25 gr H110 under a 250 gr Keith SWC. It KICKED! The brass would NOT fall out of the gun! LOL

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

The new "Classic" S&W's are intended to tap into nostalgia for some of the old classics that are harder to find. Fixed sights, old-stylie-type grips, graceful. I don't believe any have pinned barrels or recessed cylinders. None of the modern massive under-barrel lugs. I recently fired a Model 21 Classic (.44 Special) extensively, and was very impressed with it. Finish and timing were great, attractive optional case-colored frame, retro-look and feel, looked a lot like a perfectly-preserved 60-year-old revolver. Very nice, but it does have that new external "internal" lock. Phil E

13. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I just purchased a 629 Classic and could NOT be happier. Adjustable sights, full underlug, 6" barrel, etc.

Just bought a base and a reflex sight to take it hunting. Single-action trigger could not be smoother. I love it!

14. Billster

Billster TS Member

Hi Almost Unemployed

Carried a Combat Masterpiece Service revolver for 23 years...faithful workhorse. I loves a wheelgun. Still carry my dad's nickel 36 ('64). Ogled the new S/S 686P (7shot) 2" last year and went for it to carry on my jaunts into NYC. Beautifully made gun, weighed a ton and the first gun I've ever owned with an ignition key (?). Stupid lock/keyhole on the sideplate. After two boxes of .357 at the range I couldn't use my right hand for two days and sold it...replaced with a Sig P239. As you often hear, the 'old' was much better than the 'new'. (I hear the same song with the BT-99) The 686 functioned/felt good mechanically. Stiff but it was new. (been a long time since I shot a new Smith) Definitely was a Smith. Polishing could've been better on the finish fer sure. Lots of lightly used SW revolvers out there. If they've been well maintained and not run into the ground, I'd feel confident saving the $$ and going for an older one (586). They ALWAYS work!

cheers
    Bill

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

They've got just a whole passel of "classics." Some have adjustable sights, some a full-underlug, and at least one (lemonsqueezer) without the new lock. Looks like there's a bunch of them I didn't know about. Phil E

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I would agree with Gene and hmb about the older pinned and recessed models. I have owned numerous Smiths in 44mag. Bought the first one I could after I saw "Dirty Harry" 8 3/8 in. Mod. 29. Shot numerous deer an antelope and coyotes with it. I sold it on a garage sale after one cylinder chamber became oblong. (Mistake) Some of the newer ones shot fine,but were just never the same as that old 29. You'll pay a little more for a good older pinned and recessed modle,but in my opinion it would be worth it.----Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.