1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#2, Question from a new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    On a daily basic I get a rather large amount of PM's, asking questions about shooting, making adjustments to guns, questions on trapshooting in general. I have had some of the newer shooters ask me to relay their questions with my answers on a thread, as some feel it would help the newer shooter. I will try to submit their questions and my answers if possible on a daily basis. If any of you seasoned shooters disagree with my answers, and or would like to add any comments, feel free to pitch in and give us your opinion too. This thread is intended to help the newer shooter. Steve Balistreri

Marcus writes" "How do I know if my lop is correct for me"? Marcus, how do you know if your shoes fit you? You just know, as like your shoes, your stock will feel comfortable when you shoot. Years ago, people would put the stock in the bend in their arm and if your trigger finger was near the trigger they would say that the stock length was correct. In this day and age if some salesman tells you this same thing, don't walk out of the store, run.

Stock length is a very individual thing. I would suggest using a length of pull that gets you as close to your thumb when the gun is mounted as possible, without actually hitting your thumb with your nose. Usually if the stock is to short, you will hit your nose with your thumb on station #1 and #5 on hard angle targets.

Most shooters that I know like around a two finger space between their nose and thumb. I personally find that I take different lop's on certain type guns. Example on my 870 pump I take 13 3/4 lop. On a Bt99 I like 14".

The way I determine correct lop when I get a new gun is by taking off the recoil pad, and put a thin rifel pad on the gun. I than shoot some targets and see how it feels and how I am breaking targets. I than use different length pads until I find the right feel for me. Sometimes I will also place a thin wooden shim before the pad until I get the lop just right for me.

I would not immediately have your stock cut until you shoot a number targets until you diffinitely know what lop is correct for you.

All I will say, is that you will know what lop is right for you as once you find it, the gun will feel more comfortable to shoot as long as the stock basically fits you from the start.
    Steve Balistreri

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

The only thing that could added to your answer is

Well done

jpark

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I Have Never HEARD A Better Answer Anywhere Or Anytime. Do Not Know Steve But, He Sure Has His Head On Straight!!!!!! Joe W.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Before addressing LOP have a coach look at your stance and head position. If you stand too "square" to the target you will wind up with a shorter LOP than a more traditional stance with the shoulders angled a bit. Are you "chicken necking" the mount? That will affect the thumb to nose distance Steve speaks of. Is the gun in the "pocket" or mounted out above the arm pit with shoulders at an extreme angle because you have been shooting a gun that is too long?

Many times we force our mount to conform to the gun and in the process develop poor habits. The purpose of a correct gun fitting is to address those "compromises" we made to adapt in order to avoid hacking up our new gun.

For most of us, a proper fit will require not only a change to LOP but an adjustable butt plate and comb.

I believe that stance, gun/shoulder placement and head position need to be evaluated and addressed before LOP is determined.

This is especially difficult for new shooters as they do not have the experience to know what it SHOULD feel/look like.

Don Verna

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Don:
    Well said.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.