1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Perazzi Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

1. Adjustable ribs are used to adjust your POI, can't this adjustment also be done by adjusting your comb?

2. Should I go with factory removable chokes or have them done by Briley?

2. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rich,

Yes, POI can be raised or lowered by adjusting your comb up or down.

Any alteration to the Perazzi barrel will ultimately devalue it...that includes
    porting, back boring and/or having choke tubes installed. If you must have tubes installed, contact Stu Wright...excellent work and a pleasure to work with.

Smok'n Joe

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well said.. 100% correct..

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Are factory chokes an option? I haven't seen this mentioned on any of the dealers sites I've been too and haven't been able to get a hold of Giacomo to ask them.

Also, since adjustable ribs are used to adjust your POI, and since this adjustment also be done by adjusting your comb what is the point of having an adjustable rib also?

I'm not an expert on the features of shotguns and just want to get a clear understanding of what I want/need in a gun before I spend this kind of money.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

adjustable rib allows the sight picture to be changed.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

So if I get a gun with an adjustable comb but no adjustable rib my sight picture will be different than the gun I currently have that has an adjustable comb and adj. rib, even though I've never adjusted the rib. I've always just adjusted the comb to get my Fig. 8 sight picture?

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Adjustable rib and comb mean that you can tailor the gun to fit you in more ways - how you mount the gun, prefered sight picture, POI, all interact and you can make some significant changes in the overall way the gun feels when you have those options. Having said that, if you already know how you want the gun to feel and know those parameters then the adjusto stuff is just something that can go wrong.
    It would be fun to play with tho and maybe someday I'll have to get one just to do that hahaha
    I was of the understanding that if you are ordering a gun, factory chokes are always an option since I have seen factory chokes in everything at one time or another. but I could be wrong there. Personally I would never buy a gun or barrel with aftermarket choke tubes. But that's just of course.

Charlie

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My singles gun is choked .038 my doubles gun is .020/.030 Don't need screw chokes at all.. ribs are a personal thing.. I shoot a low step rib as good as anything I've ever shot.. The high adjustable ribs are good if you have a long neck.. I don't..

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that Perazzi has a couple different adjusto's available and has had others in the past. I know how they work purpose-wise but I don't use them so I'm not the guy to tell you about them one way or another.
    this site is pretty interesting and the slide show on the homepage is killer. That's about all I can help you with.

http://www.perazzi.com/Pages/en_perazzi_home_page_inglese.aspx

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Having just acquired an MX15 with adjustable comb and rib, the questions and ideas raised here are currently keeping me awake at night...what do you adjust...and how much? Apparently, you can acquire your desired settings for Point of Impact and sight picture, etc. with either the rib or the comb or drive yourself nutty adjusting both at the same time. With my fixed rib Browning XT, the adjustable comb got me the desired POI fairly easily; with an adjustable rib AND comb, finding the POI is an equation with lots of variables. That said, I have adjusted the MX15 rib to give the Point of Impact described in the Perazzi instruction book which came with the gun and, holding this constant, can adjust the comb slightly to "fine tune" it. So, I am really looking forward to the ideas/comments/experiences here. Finally, shooters being dedicated "tinkerers", having a variety of choke tubes to choose from, an adjustable rib, an adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate, and an adjustable trigger, will keep most shooters happily tinkering with their favorite gun for the entirety of their shooting careers. As Bill O'Reilly asks: "Where have I gone wrong here?" Best Regards, Ed

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I think I'm just going to go with the MX8 and then just focus on learning to shoot it. I've never touched the adj. rib I have now, only the adj. comb and the $2,000 savings between the MX2000/3 and the MX8 is quite a bit of cash that could be spent on ammo.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Until you are on your 3rd gun..I would not consider buying a high dollar new anything.... For a beginner.. a nice.. simple MX-8 with a PFS stock.. or other adjustable stock THAT FITS YOU.. can put you in the winners circle.. Fixed choke is fine..but shoot the gun.. and pattern it BEFORE you buy.. All these added bells and whistles might either help.. or hurt you.. Without experience.. you'll never know.. Most adjustable rib..screw choke guns are heavier than fixed choke.. non adjustable rib guns..

Saying all this.. I'd be looking for a good 682 Beretta/Browning Citori/MX8 or similar Perazzi.. Any of these can be had well under $4000 I like the PFS for everyone.. as it is TOTALLY adjustable.. A newcommer will get bombarded by all the "experts" telling him what to try.. and how to set up a stock.. If you get real lucky.. you'll find an expert.. Most of the time your luck does not run that well.. A PFS will let you make the stock ANYTHING you want..with just a few turns of an allen wrench..and it's transferable to many other guns as you progress..

In the end..I have learned a few truths.. First.. the gun must shoot where you look..taking POI into the equasion AND YOUR shooting style.. This is a function of a straight barrel,proper choke,and stock that fits..

Next.. the dynamics of the gun (speed and balance).. must fit your shooting style.. This takes into account your upper body strength,size,weight.. A heavy 35" Ljutic might be the wrong gun for a 14 year old 85 pound young lady..Where a Browning Micro might be a better way to go..

AND.. to me.. very,very important.. A trigger that is exacting,dependable,crisp.. each and every time you pull it..

EVERYTHING else is fluff..

I choose Perazzi because of its trigger.. I have specific problems that Kolar and Krieghoff could not help me with..(both excellent guns too) A Perazzi out the box.. new or old..does not have those problems for me.. I shoot a PFS on everything as my right arm is 2" shorter than my left..I'm not easily fitted for a stock.. I can get Perazzi barrels in any length or weight that I want.That takes care of dynamics for me.. I hope this is of some help.. All Good.. Mike

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a used gun. That way you can shoot it before you buy it. If the gun likes you and lets you break all the targets the decision to buy it will be an easy one to make. HMB

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" Buy a used gun. That way you can shoot it before you buy it. If the gun likes you and lets you break all the targets the decision to buy it will be an easy one to make. HMB"

I plan to have the gun for a long time so I'd rather spend the extra money to get it new with the features I want.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oldgoat, just adjust the comb to give you your POI, then adjust the rib, to give the bead picture you like...

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Adj. rib is primary an ATA shooter's thing, where you pre-mount the gun, weld your cheek to the stock, wait for the winds to calm down and the world stopped before you call for the bird. Everything needs to be "perfect", so naturally the beads has to be a perfect figure 8 before anything else.

This create the need for adj. rib. Gun mfg. needs to meet customer's needs.

Your adj. comb by itself will change your POI, not only up & down, but left & right too. Adj. rib is for what's between your ears to feel right, so you have one less thing to complain (which we heard enough in ATA shoot) when you miss.

17. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

OK there are a lot of good answers here and I agree with most. I have all three senerios. An MX 2000 that was purchased about 6 years ago w/o choke tubes and no combo bbl. I could not hit the trap house! Had Kolar put thinwall tubes in and found out the problem was not the gun. Bought a used o/u bbl with factory ct's and it became an excellent dbls gun. Bought a well used MX 8 for about 1/3 the cost of a new Perazzi O/U had it reblued by Giacomo and checked for function etc. I had the stock fit locally and it turned out to be an even better dbls gun. In 08 I purchased a combo MX 2000 RS w/o choke tubes and had it fit and put it on a pattern board with O/U & single bbl. Shoot singles & hcp with the RS w/o tubes. Shoot dbls with MX8 and old o/u equally well using the same choke restriction as the MX 8. The combo R/S o/u BBL won't come close to either older gun in scores. If you get a gun with adjustments of any kind and it shoots well I would suggest you tackweld the adjustments on the thing until you loose 50 lbs or some other physical condition changes.

Break em all

Jim O

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

In reality shouldn't I be able to shoot an MX8 w/o an adj. rib as well as I could a gun with an adj. rib and adj. comb? I mainly use the rib and mid bead just to make sure my gun isn't canted and everything is lined up. Like mentioned, I've never adjusted my adj. rib that I have on my current gun. I've only adjusted the comb to line up my sight picture (fig. 8).

19. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Rich219

Simply stated it is not the brand, number of adjustments or attachments for me it is simply Gun Fit

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

That's the answer I'm looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.