1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 hole 3 hole targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapshooter1, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I have not shot trap for two years now. I did not quit because of the system. I felt I needed to say this before someone starts ripping into me because I do not shoot now. I read all these threads about the handicap system and how it is broken. I also feel it needs to be fixed. I will put my two cents worth in and see what happens.
    I feel if a shooter has won a number of times from the 27, why not make them shoot tougher targets like 3 hole. Set a number and if anyone reaches that number of honorary punches then he shoots tougher targets. If his buddies want to shoot with him then they also shoot these targets. This can be done by adjusting the machine, and not adding concrete. I guess they can make it toughter after a set number of wins from the first level.

Maybee this has already been brought up and if it has I am sorry for bringing it up again. All right fire away.
    Dan woods

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm....

Neil

3. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

Trapshooter, not a bad idea.I have not shot registerd in several years my self,burned out and some health issues. Perhaps all who stand on 27 yard line would need to shoot the same 3 hole target at large shoots only? Tim

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Neil, your responses are getting shorter and shorter. Jim

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'll bet you have never helped run a shoot. The amount of work to keep track of when and for whom the adjustments must be made, never mind actually adjusting the machines and resetting them again when the squad is done, would be incredible.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, Pokey, you could just have a "hero" only trap or better a whole bank, sitting somewhere to accommodate that! I apologize now for anyone who thinks this humor is inappropriate....Bob Dodd

7. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Pocatello: I have helped very little. I understand what you are saying. But if the homework is done at the classification desk I feel it could be accomplished by setting up the desired number of banks. I didn't say I had the perfect system. I just feel too many people feel the current system is not working and some changes are needed. Maybee it just needs to be done at the bigger money shoots, state shoots, grand, and sattelite grands. It is just me thinking of a way to fix the system without a big cost to clubs.

8. shark1

shark1 Member

The big dogs can break the targets no matter what condition or angle. I watched Ron Sutton JR run 50 straight 27 yard shooter at Millington on 7/11/10. IMHO he can shoot 3 hole targets with out a hitch. Do not fault a shooter for being good, watch and learn. This reads like we want to penalize the shooters who work hard. All shooters should shoot the same target regardless. My 2 Cents! Mike Sharkey, DC

9. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I have not shot trap for two years now. I did not quit because of the system. I felt I needed to say this before someone starts ripping into me because I do not shoot now. I read all these threads about the handicap system and how it is broken. I also feel it needs to be fixed. I will put my two cents worth in and see what happens.
    I feel if a shooter has won a number of times from the 27, why not make them shoot tougher targets like 3 hole. Set a number and if anyone reaches that number of honorary punches then he shoots tougher targets. If his buddies want to shoot with him then they also shoot these targets. This can be done by adjusting the machine, and not adding concrete. I guess they can make it toughter after a set number of wins from the first level.

Maybee this has already been brought up and if it has I am sorry for bringing it up again. All right fire away.
    Dan woods

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm....

Neil

11. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

Trapshooter, not a bad idea.I have not shot registerd in several years my self,burned out and some health issues. Perhaps all who stand on 27 yard line would need to shoot the same 3 hole target at large shoots only? Tim

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Neil, your responses are getting shorter and shorter. Jim

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'll bet you have never helped run a shoot. The amount of work to keep track of when and for whom the adjustments must be made, never mind actually adjusting the machines and resetting them again when the squad is done, would be incredible.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, Pokey, you could just have a "hero" only trap or better a whole bank, sitting somewhere to accommodate that! I apologize now for anyone who thinks this humor is inappropriate....Bob Dodd

15. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Pocatello: I have helped very little. I understand what you are saying. But if the homework is done at the classification desk I feel it could be accomplished by setting up the desired number of banks. I didn't say I had the perfect system. I just feel too many people feel the current system is not working and some changes are needed. Maybee it just needs to be done at the bigger money shoots, state shoots, grand, and sattelite grands. It is just me thinking of a way to fix the system without a big cost to clubs.

16. shark1

shark1 Member

The big dogs can break the targets no matter what condition or angle. I watched Ron Sutton JR run 50 straight 27 yard shooter at Millington on 7/11/10. IMHO he can shoot 3 hole targets with out a hitch. Do not fault a shooter for being good, watch and learn. This reads like we want to penalize the shooters who work hard. All shooters should shoot the same target regardless. My 2 Cents! Mike Sharkey, DC

17. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

If they can shoot them reguardless of the setting then why would this be penalizing them. Dan Woods

18. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Mike, I disagree. I was in PA a few years back and the shootoff was way up in targets and they put the trap in the three hole and put all the spring in that the machine had (the trap machanic said he didn't even know if the targets would take the spring load ) you could not even see the target leave the house until it was 25 yards out. Needless to say the shoot off only went another 2 rounds. It looked like the shooters were being screwed into the ground on hard rights and lefts. You also have the high and low targets you could add to the mix.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Trapshooter1

"I feel if a shooter has won a number of times from the 27, why not make them shoot tougher targets like 3 hole. Set a number and if anyone reaches that number of honorary punches then he shoots tougher targets."

I have a couple of thoughts here you said we don't want to add concrete and we don't want handicap them all equally. We now are suggesting conditional handicap if they meet a certain criteria "Set a number".

What do we do when 1 shooter meets the criteria? Do we have him shoot alone? If we put other shooters that haven't met the criteria on the same squad with the shooter that has. They would have to shoot the same targets wouldn't they. Are we also willing to tie up a whole field or bank for one shooter???? If you took the time to think about all the scenarios it would look even less practical than it does right now.

Bob Lawless

20. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Bob Lawless: I have read a lot of youre post on here and have great respect for you, and youre opnions.
    I don't think I said "we" anywhere. I also said that if his buddies wanted to shoot with him then they would also be shooting the same targets. I did not say that it was set in stone. I said it might be a way to help equalize the system. It would not be long before there were a lot of shooters shooting the tougher targets. Some may just want to. I would love to be penalized for my accomplishments. This is just another thought for those in high places to annalize. Dan Woods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.