1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Days in Harlan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SongDogSniper, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Information Overload!!!!

If you have the means, take his clinic!!!! I've known him for a year or so now, never talked technique or tips with him before. What I've learned from him these last few days is that the big dogs' games isn't their ability to point a gun. We can all mostly do that. It's their ability to prepare and stay in the mentality of the game.

And I'm quite sure any other that are available. Leo's, Rickey's, etc!!!!! You won't regret it.

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I took Harlan's class two years ago here in Albuquerque about eight months after I started shooting trap. I learned so much. Harlan is an outstanding instructor who obviously knows his stuff, is easily understood and makes his points clearly and concisely. Classes are two days, a full eight hours a day and only five students per class. I've already signed up for his class in October.

Pat

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Best money you can spend on trapshooting. A Terry Jordan wall chart would be a close second. Listen, write it down, and implement it. Not just for a few days or weeks either. Give it a real chance and watch your scores and averages go up. John

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Without comparison, Harlan is THE best shot in the country these days.

That having been said, his technique is not adaptable to everyone. I took his clinic over 3 years ago now, and since that time, I have not shot scores that are even comparable to those I was shooting before I took the class.

I never could handle the high POI that he uses, and I never came to understand the "press" toward the target that he teaches. I tried and tried.......and then tried some more. Finally - I abandoned the methodology.

The saddest part of all this is not the $300 that never bore fruit for me. Three years later, I have yet to completely remove the improvements from a shooting style that formerly served me "reasonably" well. I actually shoot worse than I did before taking the class.

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I did work with Harlan and Kay Ohye in both of thier classes to K80s point.I think the biggest issue on taking classes ( anybodys ) is that they want you too shoot like they do rather than tweaking what you got.I just do not think its feasble to do it that way.Try too take a few items but not likely you can incoperate that persons methodoiliogy unless they work with you over a extended period of time.

Jim

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I guess its how you interpret the information.

I took Harlan's course and came away with a better understanding of the game. One thing you have to realize is he gives you the tools to work with but its up to you to find which ones work the best for your personal type of shooting. There is no magic bean to swallow, it takes work and determination to achieve your goals.

7. creek

creek Member

I too took Harlan's class two years ago. It won't work if you are a one eyed shooter as I am. Harlan is an excellent instructor, and has the patience needed to teach. A friend that went with me benefited from the instruction as he is a two eyed shooter. I worked hard at trying to do the high hold, use both eyes, and watched my scores hit the toilet. The next year I took Nora Ross' clinic (one eyed shooter) and my scores more than returned.

Most of these pros are good instructors, it's just that there is more than one style to break targets; you just need to find what yours is.

CREEK

8. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

In Leo's clinics and in his video, he urges participants to experiment with the information and techniques he has taught, then adopt or reject ones that fit or don't fit their shooting style. I changed from a long skeet and sporting career to trap, and early on took clinics from both Leo and Harlan. I saved myself probably two years of stumbling around in the woods, and gained a lot of great information and insight from both of these excellent instructors. My style has since evolved into something I call the "Lelan," a hybrid of both their styles that seems to fit me so far.

9. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Harlan's style is not for everyone, but it is well worth taking his clinic if for no other reason than to understand the hazard of vertical gun movement.

Cheers,
    K-EIGHTY

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

K-EIGHTY,

Harlan says he doesn't move the gun vertically, but he does. In fact, you must move the gun vertically. You can see it if you watch his video.

11. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

timb99,

I agree. There will always be some need for limited vertical gun movement. The key is to limit it as much as possible. By holding a higher gun and shooting a high POI, and making most of your gun movement horizontal, you reduce the need for consistent and significant vertical muzzle movement. When Harlan does move his gun vertically, he does it by "pressing" to the target. Not by leaning back or pivoting the gun, both of which will likely cost you targets. If you study Harlan's theories, you will find that they are very sound. Putting them into practice (for you) is another story. I'm still working on it.

Cheers.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have his video. Though I employ many of his concepts, I have not been able to master a gun that shoots that high, nor hold over the house quite as high as he teaches, though I do hold higher than most of the guys I shoot with.

I've asked him about coming over for a clinic in Johannesburg (South Africa) and he said he'd have to think about it.

;-)

13. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

His video is incomplete until you take his clinic. You would probably be better off coming to the US and attending one of his clinics here. I doubt Harlan would travel that far, although I hear there are some world class golf courses in South Africa. Harlan is an avid golfer, so maybe you could lure him over there with an invitation to play some of your best courses.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a good idea. I told him there were a lot of guys over here who would take his clinic.

Maybe I could entice him with this golf course!?

15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Combine his clinic with a South African bird hunt.

16. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I took Harlan's clinic in Phoenix this February, and I think it's the best money I spent in trapshooting. That said, I am still struggling to implement the things he taught me, e.g., turning to the target with the knee, making a punch to the target, having a higher focus area, etc.

But he clearly stressed in his class that this is not an overnight process. You must work on one thing at a time, week after week, month after month. Your hard work will pay off if you study his methods and incorporate them into your shooting. I study my class notes constantly, and have noticed my mechanics have vastly improved. Don't hesitate to take his class--he's No. 1 for a reason.

17. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I cant wait until May, ive wanted to take his clinic for a while so I got signed up.

18. ntxshooter

ntxshooter TS Member

I have high regard for Harlan and his shooting abilities, however when I took his course several years ago his attention was more focused on some of the shooters of lesser abilities than mine. It was either I was a lost cause or you are doing good and keep shooting you will get it someday. In my opinion you have to shoot and perfect what works for you.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have heard many shooters lament over the years that they were not able to take XyZ pro's style and make it "work" for them. Why couldn'they tweak my style is often heard.

If your style was so good that all it required was a few little tweaks you would have done so before now.

This is why you take lessons. To learn the ( a way) way a certain Pro does it. If you do not like the results you get, then take lessons from another Pro who shoots closer to your style of shooting.

There are many excellent guys to take lessons from. Jeff

20. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I took his clinic in late summer two years ago. Since then, i have won more events and been more consistent. While it's not only about winning, his techniques are excellent things to consider, and I incorporated many but not all.

Two other fellas from my club attended the same session. One argued incessantly with Harlan -- you know the type (shooting 30+ years, all K gun better than all, know-it-all curmudgeon, etc.); the other took meticulous notes and asked tons of questions -- but when he tried the techniques out, he said they did not work for him and that he preferred them his way! To sum it up, one guys scores stayed the same, the others got worse.

I'll attend his refresher the next time Harlan comes around. Best $300 I spent on trapshooting to date. Waiting for Leo and Kay to come around my neck of the woods, i hope to learn from them too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.