1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2-day shoot format?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jimbohughes, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbohughes

jimbohughes TS Member

Question is; We have a 5 trap club in Endicott Wa. and host a 2 day ATA shoot in june with usually 12-14 squads. There was some talk at our last meeting about combining the singles to make it a 200 bird event to cut the trophey cost in half(we now have singles ,caps,doubles both days).I wondered if we did that should we have 200 singles on one day with doubles and 200 handicap the next day with a doubles? I know that when the singles are a 200 bird event on two different days that when people cant make both days to have a chance for a trothey they just dont shoot either day. Thanks, Jim Hughes...

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

In Anchorage we shoot 200 singles Saturday morning, 100 handicap in the afternoon, and 200 doubles Sunday morning, followed by another 100 handicap in the afternoon.

We also save some money on trophies by picking a "feature event" - different each month - and having a full slate of trophies, including categories. The other events, only the champ gets a trophy, and then the HOA gets a trophy.

Doing it this way also minimizes the amount of trap re-setting between events (we only have to set for doubles once) so it saves time and targets that you throw trying to get things set right.

3. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I hate the 200 bird events every since I got a punch half way through one of these. I started off the event one day shooting well and ended up trying to compete at a yardage I had never shot before. This added some new meaning to handicap for me. I got the penalty for winning but not the win. One person who was leading in singles also ended up in a different singles class. From what I gathered he also was not too happy. Finally a friend of mine who did not do well the first day canceled out and did not go back the second. I just don't attend these events any more. I would rather spend my time and money on practice.

Edit. Also consider those who might have to work on Saturday might as well not attend on Sunday.

4. jimbohughes

jimbohughes TS Member

Thanks All ! !

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

That's why we only shoot 100 caps a day...that way they are seperate and distinct events.

Twice I've won both days 'caps - but we have smaller shoots, typically only a half yard up for grabs, so winning on saturday might or might not move you back.

As for the 200 singles and doubles events, we don't reclass halfway through...they are true 200 bird events.

As for those who have to work....have you considered that if they work Saturday and you schedule the one day shoot on saturday that they won't attend at all? We have plenty of folks that just show up one day

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I think requiring shooters to show up two different days to "shoot the event" is a huge mistake. I for my self seldom if EVER have two days to commit to a shoot. If you want to throw in a HOA thing for the two days fine. But to make shooters show up two days to compete is wrong.

GS

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've attended shoots where they run 200 sinlge on day 1 then 100 doubles then 100 more to start day 2 then back to singles or 'caps....appeals to the doubles shooters...

8. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If you want to throw 200 bird events in stead of saving money on trophies the trophies should be worth twice as much. On the other hand trophy fees could be cut in half. Don't slight the shooters they will soon figure it out. Throw a shoot that will attract more shooters and take a smaller cut is better than throwing a cheap shoot and trying to make money off of fewer shooters. Post-2

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

The last few years that we had our club, we used to throw 400targets a day at a shoot...200 singles, 100 caps, and 50pr. Doubles. We were usually done by
    5:30 or so.
    We started them quick, and ran them trough quick. Sometimes with 4 traps, sometimes with 6 fields. Usually about 50-65 shooters.
    It's a good deal for a club because you throw double the amount of targets in the single's event. And the club is protected if there is a small turnout.

puablo

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- You will not get a program that everyone likes. Do the best you can to keep the club financially sound. I would shoot any of the programs you suggested. If you do carry an event over two days, you will probably get less discontent by doing that with doubles. Serious doubles shooters are the most likely group to show up both days. A 200 bird handicap event over two days, because of the possible punches after each 100, would cause the most grumbling.

irfner - Are you certain that the club throwing a 200 bird singles event moved shooters up a class after the first 100 birds. This seems quite unusual to me.

Pat Ireland

11. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Yes I am certain. It was a 200 bird singles event over two days. The shooter ahead (winning) in B class the first day had to compete in A class the second day which he did not win. He is a personal friend of mine. We had discussions with the officials at the shoot concerning his class and my punch. Since his first round score was high enough to push his average up he had to compete in the higher class the next day.

The problem I see is if he was not pushed up the second place shooter would have a very legitimate gripe. Since he was pushed into a higher class midway through an event he had a legitimate gripe. I see no fair resolution and I don't want to be a constant complainer. So I just don't shoot those events anymore.

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

We have one club that has 200 Singles 100 Handicap and 100 Doubles on Saturday and 200 Doubles and 100 Handicap on Sunday. I like the program and will drive 180 miles one way to shoot on Saturday and maybe stay overnight or not. There is no way I would drive that far to only shoot on Sunday unless they offered 200 Handicap or 100 Singles and 100 Handicap.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Jeff P, I am still planning on the Alaska State Shoot in July!!! Frank C. start chillin that free beer!!

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Frank, it's cold already, LOL.

I guess everyone's not getting what I'm saying. You can shoot one day or two at our shoots - whatever. On saturday, 200 singles is a self contained event. ditto the 100 'caps that follow in the afternoon. Sunday morning, 100 pair doubles and a completely seperate, stand alone handicap.

Sure, you can't win the HOA if you don't shoot both days...but otherwise, there are trophies both days (at least some) and plenty of option money, or so it seems. Sometimes we have a potluck or grill burgers one day.

It seems to work for us. And we generally spend several hundred bucks on trophies for the weekend...we might have 20 shooters total. Maybe 25 or 28 or a BIG weekend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.