1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2.75 Dram vs. Super Handicaps For 27 Yds.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rjstubbl, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I went over the math for 2.75 dram loads vs. Winchester super handicaps. Do the numbers justify the change? This is just in one dimension and does not account for target rise. This could also be calculated but I did not take the time.

Known Information:

2.75 Dram Speed: 1150 fps

Super HDCP Speed: 1250 fps

Average target shot 20 yds out of house (Approx.)

Distance to Target: 27 yds + 20 yds = 47 yds = 141 ft.

Target Speed: 42 mph = 61.6 fps

2.75 Dram Time to Target: 141/1150 = 0.123 sec.

Super HDCP Time to Target: 141/1250 = 0.113 sec.

Time Difference = 0.123 - 0.113 = 0.01 sec.

Distance Target Traveled @ Time Difference = 61.6 * 0.01 = 0.62 ft = 7.4"

So, if someone shoots a 2.75 dram load, the target will be approximately 7.4" farther than someone shooting super handicaps depending on how fast the person shoots. The faster the shooter, the less the difference will be. So, is that enough to make a difference? What do you guys think?

2. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Member

Glad to see you put that education to work!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what your gun likes. HMB

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well your math isn't quite correct as the velocity of the shot charges and the target are not constants. The actual time to the target is significantly more but also the higher velocity charge is subject to greater deceleration so the differences between the two is even less than what you calculated.

But forget the techincal jazz, a lot of very good shooters are using the 2 3/4 dram loads from the 27 and turning in very good scores with them. Even more very good shooters are shooting full HC dram loads and also doing well. What it comes down to is shoot the shell you have the most confidence in and are comfortable using.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey!

All those .01 seconds add up!

If your whole squad used the 2 3/4 dr loads ... it would take 1.25 seconds longer to shoot that round.

No wonder that we have to sit around and wait when we are 'on deck'!

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Mathmatically, it makes no good sense for you to use big bullets for handicap.

Financially, it makes perfect sense for the ammo companies to try to convince you that you should.

Ballistically, a #7 pellet shot at a muzzle velocity of 1235 fps carries 15% more energy to 50 yards than a #7 pellet shot at 1145 fps. #8 pellets differ by only 8% but they had less energy to start with; both 7½ and 8s lost about 75% of their muzzle energy on the way.

MK

7. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I understand that the target and the shot and target will decelerate but that adds a lot more work to the calculation. I just wanted to get an approximate number with a simple calculation and it wouldn't effect the number that much.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The math works but, somehow, I get more birds broken with handicap loads. Go figure...

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Now throw in some kinetics and physics......then voila....we have the miracle cure for all our misses!!

Curt

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's very similar to: if It takes a chicken and half a day and half to lay a egg and half then how long does it take a rooster??

Don

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If there was any advantage to the 2 3/4 dram loads the All Americans and Big Dogs would be shooting them ... The last time I looked they were not so logically there has to be a reason ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO if everyone shot 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent loads, then the makers of release triggers and recoil reducing devices would go out of business.

Whatever, you need to shoot shells in with which you have the most confidence.

Ed Ward

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

RJS

That 7.4" overstates the difference in lead.

Assume a 45 degree angle of flight and you are down to 5.3 inches. And most birds are not traveling 45 degrees to us.

Don Verna

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Arnold Reigger dominated the handicap game shooting a 2-3/4 dr load for years! Last years 100,000 grand winner did it with the same, 8s no less? Dancin all night with the one ya brung leads to a better score? :)

Hap

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's the American Way ! If some is good, more is better!

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Tell my Wife that....

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hmmm If you need faster shell from further back, maybe i need some really slow shells from way up close where i'm at. Maybe thats my problem. Maybe my shells are over running the target.............

18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Good thing my 30" pattern can make up for that 0.01 second.

Wayne

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If you are breaking some of the targets with the leading edge of your pattern the target traveling a additional 7.4" or 5.3" before the shot gets there can make a big difference. I don't know about you but more of my misses are behind or under rather than in front or over.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil W. has probably shot close to a half million targets and just recently found out how tough it is to shoot over the top of a straight away?? It also hard as hades to shoot in front of one too!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.