1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2&3/4 vs 3 dram recoil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XP100, Jun 25, 2013.

1. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Any reliable way to check recoil difference in 1145 vs. 1200 FPS rounds or any charts available.

I have a lot of 3 dr. trap loads and everyone tells me they kick alot harder than 2&3/4dr loads. I have a 00 Plus and a Citori Plus so I can't tell the difference. I don't think 55 FPS would make a great amount of difference. Thanks

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The number on the box - and this goes for all manufacturers - is generally fairly close. But that's all, just "fairly." In my tests of seven lot numbers a few years ago, every maker had at least one example of the "light" being faster than the "heavy."

When you compare, sometimes they are more similar, sometimes less. So to really find out, you need to chronograph them (with an open choke) to see what you are trying to discriminate from what. When they really are 1140 and 1200, I think I can tell the difference, a lot of the time.

This also means that you can't "calibrate" a home chronograph with factory shells. The best you can do is lay in a couple of flats of some premium shells to shoot when you start a chronograph session to check that everything is working about right.

Neil

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I needed to know what the difference in felt recoil was. I have a lot of 3 dr. loads in my shop because 1145's are hard to get. but everyone wants 2&3/4 because the say the 1200 FPS kick the s$#T out of them. I can't really tell a big difference. Estates seem to have a little more recoil than GunClubs's Supertargets & TopGuns.

With less than 5% difference in speed if a 1145fps load has 20 Ft/lbs of recoil. I think a 1200 should only be about 21ft/lbs..

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

XP100, using Winchester's formula the recoil generated for a 9.375 lb gun with a 1 1/8oz load @ 1145fps containing 17gr of powder and a 37.2gr wad is 15.4 ft/lb. For a 1200fps load it is 16.7 ft/lb.

Using Hodgdon's formula the numbers are 15.9 and 17.3 respectively. Since the 1200fps load usually has more powder in the charge, the recoil will be higher than these figures show.

That doesn't sound like a lot of difference, but it is, at least to me. I can shoot STS Light Target loads (1145fps)with no discomfort. Shooting the 1200fps load hurts a little, especially at the end of the day. I'll probably never shoot the flats of Nitro 27s (1235fps) I have left, because they hurt even more.

5. wrd

wrd Member

In my opinion, the payload makes more of a difference than the speed. I load from 1145 to 1345. One ounce and 7/8 ounce is no big deal at any speed that I load. 1 1/8 at over 1250 starts to get your attention.

6. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Wrd. Your are correct. The lead amount being pushed is the component that causes felt recoil . But from what im reading some places u buy what u can get.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Here is an easy to use recoil calculator. see link above. 2 3/4 dram is 1145 fps and 3 dram is 1200 fps, for 1 1/8 oz loads. Mark

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is no opinion- it is simple math

Mass X Velocity = momentum and recoil is momemtum

a 10 percent change in velocity or a 10 percent change in shot weight will have an equal effect on actual recoil-- all other factors being constant

Oh there is a very very minute change in the ejecta weight for powder amounts but it is insignificant mathematically

They used to calculate velocity by the amount of movement a gun would make using a pendulum - and in fact that is still see on engineering exams

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO, one of the most pleasant factory loads with respect to recoil is the Federal Paper Extra Lite load. It has I think 1 1/8 oz. of shot at 1100 - 1125 fps. With size 7 1/2 shot it breaks targets with authority from just about any range.

Many years ago, I won a 5 long games match from well beyond 50 yards behind the house. I wanted to shoot for social reasons and the Extra Lite's were all the shells I had left. It took a while for the shot to get there and the targets crumpled more than they exploded but they got the job done.

I used to shoot Federal Paper 3 Dram 8's out of an 870 TA back in the 1980's. After a 200 round singles match in which I hated to shoot the last 25 targets, I switched to the 2 3/4'th dram load. When the Extra Lights came out around 1990 or so, I tried them and really got to like them.

I still shoot heavy loads in games but the little Extra Lite works great from 16 yards.

Ed Ward

Search tags for this page

3 dram vs 1200

recoil versus dram

what dram is lowest recoil