1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 3/4 vs 3 dram HC loads...When?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TOOT, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

At what yardage did you switch from 1145's to 1200's........23/24/25 or something else?

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

MIA

I guess you are talking about Mitchell and yes he is in the winners circle a lot on the handicaps even in the ruff weather too.

Fog

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

Don's screw with wimpy 3 dram loads. Real men shoot 3 1/4 dram.

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Big, you need to take a look at the ATA rulebook more than once every decade so you won't be so confused.

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

It is PITA that has the 3dram limit.

Wish i still had the copy of Shotgun Sports. There was an article explaining in mathematical terms the near uselessness of hdcp shells other than the mental factor.

Came down to something weird like 100 extra fps equated to about 1/16" at 40 yrds or something.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

for those of you who like numbers: the difference in time of flight at 40 yards for #7 1/2 shot fired at 1150 fps and 1200fps through an Improved Modified choke is .0044 seconds. That's 44 ten thousandths of a second. The difference in retained energy at 40 yards is a whopping .05 ft/lbs.

So the differences are too small to be significant, right? You can't tell the difference, right? Maybe, maybe not.

I'll say flat out that what one will do, the other will do also. The difference is in perception. You would think that .0044 seconds is too small to see. Bull. The faster load is noticeably quicker to target and feels more direct. There is something about the eye-brain relationship that gets more reinforcement from seeing bang.break than bang...break. You'll see a similar effect going from 1200fps to Nitros at 1235fps. Everything feels more direct as you increase speed from the same yardage.

I don't see a noticeable lag using 1150fps shells from 16. Going to 1200fps at the 22 and 1235fps at 27 keeps the apparent lag about the same.

Is it psychological? Yep. Is it real? Depends on your perceptions. Enough people see a difference that Phil Kiner suggested limiting velocity to 1200fps to "handicap" good handicap shooters more. Will the extra .05 ft/lbs per pellet get you an extra target? Maybe once in a Blue Moon, on average.

What do I shoot? 1150fps for everything. Even though I like the visual effect of faster shells, my shoulder does not like the recoil effect. Shoulder wins.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shoot a 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 for eveything including games. The load works well back to 40 yards behind the trap house and sometimes much further. I shoot with a fast timing and the load seems to get there almost immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.