1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2 3/4" Duck Loads in 1100 Classic Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joee12, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joee12

joee12 Member

I have an 1100 Classic Trap and I have been invited to go duck hunting next weekend. I want to give it a try, but I don't have any guns in 3" magnum. I know that Remington's website claims "trap and skeet firearms specifically designed for target loads should only be used with up to 3 1/4 Dram 1 1/8 ounce shot" Am I playing with fire using some of the lighter duck 2 3/4" loads made by Kent or Federal? I have found some locally at 1 1/16 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce but they are 1375 and 1400 FPS. Thanks, Joe

2. hunter870

hunter870 Member

2 3/4

A long time ago I hunted regularly with 2 3/4 magnum duck loads through both an 870 and 1100. As long as your past the "steel shot through your barrel" question, I wouldn't be afraid to run those loads through your gun.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

2 3/4

I hunted with my 1100 trap that I've owned sice the 70's usisng heavy 2 3/4 in loads I alos have a slug barrel for the gun and have never had a problem shooting anything out of it. Including but not limited to light trap loads.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

2 3/4

I wouldn't worry about any 2 3/4 inch loads. If you were doing it on a regular basis it might be diffrent but for one duck hunt, I can see how it could hurt. For me? I would shoot 2 3/4 inch 1 1/2 magnum duck loads in a trap Remington 1100 and never gave it another thought. Jeff

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

2 3/4

If it has a fixed full choke, you may have a problem. If you are shooting steel, modified choke then becomes a "Steel" full choke. Lead full choke is to tight, and may cause a problem. Maybe not. Just saying so you know.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

2 3/4

After seeing what some of the guys shoot in their 1100S' at games I wouldnt worry one bit.

7. joee12

joee12 Member

2 3/4

Thanks for all the replies. The gun is a new 1100 Classic with Remchoke tubes,Joe

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

2 3/4

Does it have the lite conture(sp)target barrel? If it does, that might be a problem with the steel shot.

Ajax

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    2 3/4

Light contour barrels have no problem whatsoever with steel shot, buckshot or slugs.

I know people use heavy loads in their trap barrels. Personally I won't do it. A steady diet has the potential to crack the receiver. My advice is to buy or borrow the correct barrel.

Steel shot works OK from full choke. I use cheap Rem 3" Sportsman steel through a full choke on my field shotgun. Patterns like premium lead thorugh an extra-full turkey choke. HOWEVER, the full choke tube MUST be rated for steel. The Remington full choke rated for steel shot has a golden hue to it because of the alloy and hardening process, and it is laser engraved that it is rated for steel shot. The full choke that comes with the trap barrel IS NOT rated for steel shot.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

2 3/4

Modified Remchoke is as tight as you would ever need with any of the non tox shot types..out of a MOD, steel patterns are as tight as extra full with lead and you might even do a couple patterns with IC or LM so you wont be blowing the birds up and have something edible left over

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

2 3/4

Put in an IC choke and go shoot some ducks. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington classic trap 870 duck hunting