Status
Not open for further replies.

2 1oz DownRange Wads

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  StonewallRacing 
#1 ·
Call Kevin Lewis?

#5 ·
Erik

Yes, that's true. You need a taller wad with dense powders.

I use the Lime Green XL-1 with Clays, which is very bulky, and it works perfectly for me in Remington hulls.

#7 ·
I'm with Bob Dodd on the Clays and the adjustable charge bars.I really like the DR neon green wad. Maybe the best thing about them (besides the fact that work great) is they are made just down the road from me in Hastings NE. A fine Nebraska made product. Paul

#8 ·
Check out a CB pink wad, a Green Duster, and a Down Range Pink wad if you want to see three wads that are supposed to be identical (AA clones), have the same exact loading data BUT three wads are clearly different size.

I am too poor to buy AA wads to compare which is a closer match but....

CB = Longest and no matter how much adjusting I get bulged crimps.
DR = Shortest and no matter how much adjusting I get dished crimps.
GD = Just right

So I am guessing the Green Dusters are the closest match.

What the five dollar question is how can they by clones and publish the same data if they are all that different?

#9 ·
Hellcat.

Call Kevin. He will usually answer the phone, and if he doesn't, he will return your call.

#11 ·
Quoting BucPride29-

"CB = Longest and no matter how much adjusting I get bulged crimps. DR = Shortest and no matter how much adjusting I get dished crimps. GD = Just right "

=================================================

They are all ballistically the same. The different lengths is what each company THINKS is the type powder and charge most of their customers will use.

I have used all three in AA-HS and what I have found is - for ball powder or very low charge weights the CB works best. For typical 3 dram flake powder the DR-A12 (red) wad works best. For something in between the GD or the DR XL (same length)

Mark

p.s the best wad I have found for Remington is the neon green DR XL wad. Either in the 1 or 1 1/8 version

#12 ·
I could not get XL-1's earlier this year, so bought a case of DRA-1s and they are small, just like the gold ones in the picture. Dished crimps etc.

I took sample shells to Kevin Lewis who was at Wisc. State shoot and spent over a half an hour going over adjustments I could make.

MAN IS A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE!!! He explained stack height to me and how to adjust my components.

He had me reduce wad pressure and set my final crimp slightly deeper and I got perfect crimps.

I asked him why different brands of AA wad clones are different and he said Winchester changed there wads several years ago and depending on if the clones are made off or new style or older style is why they are different heights. I never knew that.

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.