1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brownd34, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownd34

brownd34 TS Member

I want to purchase my 1st trap gun. I don't have a lot of money to spend. I was thinking about a Stoeger Condor. Any thoughts on if this is a good first gun?

2. brownd34

brownd34 TS Member

I shot the Stoeger and also a 1187 field gun. That is all. Friends have told me either the Stoeger or the 1100 Classic Trap. I have not heard all that much good about the stoeger

3. 391 Dude

391 Dude TS Member

only one starter gun.........870 trap, cheap and easy to get rid of if you don't like traphooting...... Steve

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Your first shotgun should be like your first love......sweet, balanced, tight,well-made,no recoil, dependable, and long-wearing!

5. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

I couldn't agree less with Hipshot...your 1st love should be LOOOOOSE, DIRTY, and at least TWICE your age. Your 1st trapgun however, should be a Remington or Winchester borrowed from a stalwart of the club you shoot at, while you try everything else you find for sale, until you find one that shoots a 25 1st time up...gun and shooter in harmony...pay whatever it takes-you won't regret it. Cheers-Graham.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do yourself a favor ... get rid of the Stoeger NOW and keep shooting the 11-87 for awhile longer. Save your cash and get yourself a nice BT99 for singles and if your planning on shooting doubles ... well ... then ... your going to have to learn to reload really really fast with a BT99.

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

In my opinion, how well a gun fits you should be a top priority. The best you can do when shopping is to attempt to determine if you are able to use the correct trap shooting form - gun mount, body posture, stance.

Holding the empty gun, stand facing about 25 degrees to the right (if you're a right-handed shooter) of an imagined target. Close your eyes and being the gun to your shoulder pocket, the indentation just inside of your shoulder joint when you raise your trigger-hand elbow. Mount it so the top of the recoil pad is about even with the top of your shoulder. Only a slight forward nod of your head should be necessary to put your cheek snugly on the stock's comb. When you mount the gun, also notice of the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

Open your eyes. You should be looking straight along the rib horizontally and see very little of the top surface of the rib. Ask the observer you collard earlier with a threat of physical violence, if he can notice if your head or neck is tilted or leaned forward or toward the stock and if your head is turned very much toward the stock.

If your eye is in the right position relative to the rib and your head is tilted, leaned or turned very little, the gun with its stock dimensions, probably fits you quite well. This exercise is not perfect but it is the best you can do when trying guns without being familiar with shooting form and stock fitting.

Rollin

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Some people are saying the 870. Be careful not to purchase the 870 Express. You want the 870 Wingmaster. Load up a Remington Nitro or Gold or Gun Club hull with 16.5 grans Red Dot and 1oz. or 1 1/8 oz 8 or 9 shot. Win 209 Primer. CB1100 wad and there is one great shell for ya. Does have some kick to it but you will get used to that in time. One great gun!! Keep it cleaned up and oiled and greesed and it will get ya over 40,000 rounds without any Gunsmith work on it. The action has two long slide bars on each side. If one should happen to break on ya the other will see ya through a shoot. This has not happened to me but a couple other friends of mine have had this problem and in fact one used his gun completely throught the shoot with just one slide. A three day shoot! He didn't shoot doubles of course but the gun just kept going and going. He shot on Fri 100 singles. Sat. 200 singles with 100 handycap in the afternoon and on Sunday he shot 200 handycaps. He got punched a yard in the Sunday afternoon handycap shoot. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.