1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Time Shooting Dbls Tom. Mornin', What To Do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

1st Time Shooting Dbls Tom. Mornin

Finally got my O/U bbls and a chance to shoot Doubles tomorrow morning, but I have no clue what to do. I've never shot Trap Doubles and don't even know where the hold points are. Any last minute tips? At least the VERY basics.

Thank you.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks to J2Jake I have shot a whole total of 100 doubles and loved it. Closest place for me to shoot doubles is 90 miles away. Back to your question. Best I remember is on stations 1, 2, and 3 shoot the right bird first and then on 4 and 5 shoot the left bird first. This order gives you a almost straightaway for first shot. Hold points were approx 3 feet right of center on stations 1, 2 and 3. Hold points on 4 and 5 is 3 feet left of center. Oh Well, someone will come on and correct me now but that is the best that I remember it from two years ago. Jackie B.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Remember IT IS NOT A RACE. You have plenty of time. If you are right handed the advice above is pretty standard. You will be shooting the first bird as almost a straight away on all stations except 3 where it will be a fairly soft right. Stay on bird 1 and forget #2 until after the first bird is shot then the swing to the second bird just becomes a left or right single. The birds always follow the same path so I try to pick a hold point that will allow me to make the move on the first bird and continue the swing in the same direction for number 2.

Above all HAVE FUN. I have found that for me doubles in trap is by far the most fun to shoot even though at times it can be kind of challenging. Set your own pace and stick to it.

--- Chip King ---

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Good advice given above. Relax and have fun. Keep your head glued to the stock. Your gun will follow your eyes to the second target. Watch the person shooting just ahead of you and you will know where to hold for the first target. Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes.

Steve

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Oh and I used an IC for first shot and IM for second. I shoot quick so could get away with a skeet choke for the first shot but there is no reason to hurry. Jackie B.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Doubles is not at all like shooting a singles target. The target arm doesn't oscillate so they are usually thrown in a fixed place for each pair.

Since this is your first time (especially since it's your first time) I'd shoot a practice round to warm up. Here you should note where the targets are set both in their width apart and height. I would suggest that you shoot the more straight-a-way target first. While looking at other shooter's targets pick out a place along the target flight and that will determine your hold point for it. Look "out there" for the target.

Chip is correct in saying you have some time (I wouldn't say plenty, though) between shots and it is best to take the first target as quickly as you can. It's not an oscillating singles target so, if you've gone to school on the first target's flight, you should be able to break it more quickly than you would a singles target. If you've done your job, you know where the first target will come out of the house.

Then, with your eyes, look after the second target. If you acquire it with you eyes the gun should naturally go there too.

More than any other American trapshooting, doubles is a "technique" sport. It's not two singles targets and you will develop a timing that works for you. I think it is the most fun of all the disciplines. Stay loose and work on your technique. Good luck and have fun. Barry

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Alright guys, thank you very much. I'll try keep that in mind and will let you know tomorrow how it goes.

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Load both barrels.

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Well doubles was a lot of fun. I was on 5 so I had plenty of time to see the targets and sight in the first shot. I was still shooting too fast and approx half the misses were on the 1st shot. I need to slow down a bit and get and better first shot.

Overall I ended up shooting a 36 and a 38, but I can get those up quick by getting a better handle on the first bird. All the advice really helped and the gun was simply a joy to shoot. The 31.5" barrels swung smoothly and when all worked well the pair just vanished in one smooth swing.

10. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Lighter load for the 1st shot.

I like to shoot them backwards. But then again, I'm no expert. I always figure I have a MUCH better chance shooting a straight-away that far out vs. a quarterng target!

It's also not all that difficult to spot shoot/get right on the quartering bird right out of the house.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Good for you vpr80 a 74 is not a bad score for your first time in doubles and it sounds like you are already laying a plan in place to improve on that. Go getum and have fun.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.