1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st shot doubles questions????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shoottilithurts, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

if the target is taken at 23 yards, what shot size and choke would give optimal target breaks and pattern diameter? thanks n merry christmas...milt luther

supersenior thanked this.
  2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

7/8 oz of #9s, Imp. Mod choke makes them disappear. Many open the choke for the first bird to Imp. Cyl. and just about any shot will do the trick that close so the more pellets the better....breakemall...Bob Dodd

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Second what BDodd said. Jake

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

shoottilithurts - shoot a light load of #9s. The light load is just to keep recoil in check and minimize the effect on the second shot. Choke doesn't matter much at the 23 yard distance (you can prove that to yourself). You really should not take advice here, but should shoot some patterns of your own. In doubles, you know where the targets are going to be so I submit that you should be able to shoot a full choke on the first bird and still do just fine.

5. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

1 ounce of 8's with a full choke

6. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I use 7/8s of 8.5s.

Only trouble is it makes me late to the second bird as I can't pull my eyes away from the great break on the first shot.

Jim

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You should break the first target at 17.5 yards because you know where it is coming out. Use a single #9 pellet to minimize recoil so that you can get to the second target quicker. Use a turkey choke because we all know that you should choke for smoke.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use 1oz 8's or 8 1/2's with a mod. extended choke on the first shot and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's or 8's with a IM or LT full extended choke tube on the 2nd shot. If I'm on target both birds will turn to smoke. (not as often as I'd like LOL).

Bill

9. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

if you can find it 10 shot is great

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My present doubles average is 94.75, about the best I've ever had, and I've been shooting IM and full, with any 1-oz or less on the first shot and any heavier (light or heavy) 1 1/18 load for the second.

My gun shoot a little high for the first shot, a little low for the second. Over 25 years I've tried just about every combination of POI and choke imaginable and this super-conservative one has been the one I always drift back to when I tire of chipping and missing.

Additionally, along the way I've quit worrying about tapered ribs, figure-eights, barrel length and weight and "balance," powders, wads, shot as long as for the second shot it's hard, chokes as long as they are tight. In short, everything but POI, stock-fit, and decent triggers. And my headaches have gone away too . . .

Neil

11. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I use 1 oz of 8's but rarely get to the second target as I happy to get the first one. Dan

12. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Shot size: anything from 7 1/2 to 9.
    Choke: anything from IC to XFull.

Hope that helps.

13. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

.010 first shot .030 on second. 1oz.#8s on first shot 1 1/8oz.#7 1/2 on second.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Milt, I have no quibble with those that advocate tighter chokes. However, regarding your specific question, choke and shot size for a 23 yard target, the answer has been definitively proven. Billions and billions of Skeet shots prove 7/8oz of #9 is the optimum for breaking 21 yard targets. 23 yards is the same using Skeet2 chokes.

When I was using my 20b for doubles I used IS and M or LM and M and they worked just fine. 9s for the first shot, 8s for the second. Recently I proved once again that it is quite easy to miss the first bird with an .018 choke and 1 1/8oz #9. It's no harder than missing with a Mod or IM choke. Why, because when you miss, you miss by a mile, not an inch. When I do it it is always because I set up wrong, or I wasn't really ready when I called for the bird, I flinched, etc. That causes gross pointing errors, an another inch or two or three in effective pattern diameter is not going to help that.

15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

LM/Mod chokes, 1oz 8.5's or 1 1/8oz light 8's, followed by a 3dram 8 load, but I shoot fast.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot a 1 oz load of #8 for the first bird. Smaller shot would work well but I already use 7.5 for handicap and #8 for singles and I do not want to store a third size. It is absolutely necessary for me to use the same load for the second bird that I use for singles (1 1/8 oz #8). Frank Little told me to do that many years ago and I promised him that I would. I will not break a promise to Frank.

Pat Ireland

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am curious as how you arrived at 23 yards, I shoot my Doubles pretty quick but I dunno the exact distance and the 1st bird from Post 3 seems to take a tad longer than the other Posts. I once broke a 98 with a borrowed trigger and the wrong barrel sequence; it was .042 for the first bird and .028 for the 2nd bird.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Currently using .020"/.030", #8 both shots. 2nd shot=light (1 1/8oz) 8s, 1st shot=either light 8s or Xtra-lite (1oz) 8s.

Seems to work OK-----

John C. Saubak

19. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

miketmx: we actually measured the distance,(ave 23yd) and height, (6ft) post 3 was actually a little shorter distance because the bird doesnt move directly away, i spot shoot, with no gun movement. thanks for so many good replies zzt: your responce was more to the point of my intended question, meant to get opinions on the largest effective pattern i could create at 23yd. ex: 1-1/8 oz of #9,(to reduce recoil without giving up pattern size or density @ 1100fps) from skeet choke milt

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

6 feet high at 23 yards is lower than I like to shoot doubles

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.