1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st shot dbls load ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

How fast of a load do you shoot for the first shot of dbls? 1 oz? 1 1/8? Wad recomendations? International clays powder is what I have on hand.

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I shoot my 16 yard load for both shots, 1-1/8 at about 1200

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 oz of 9s with a skeet choke and a fast burning powder like Red Dot. You want to get that first target as soon as possible. Can't tell you what wad to use without knowing what hull you are reloading. HMB

4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

1 oz of # 8 shot @ 1150fps. I've tried 7/8 but too many lost birds.

5. John55

John55 Active Member

I'm getting to like 1oz #8 @ 1200fps for both shots, but especially for the 1st. I use Clay Dot powder with a TGT12 wad in my STS cases.

6. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I am using rem sts hulls.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7/8 oz 8 1/2's alliant extra lite 15.2 grs drxxl 7/8 oz wad gunclub cases and any old primer.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

1st shot in Doubles? Whatever you have the most of.

7/8 oz of #9s through 1 1/2 oz of #6s, any of them will work.

I sometimes grab a bunch of odds and ends for the 1st shot at a club shoot ... one day 2 1 3/8 oz in front of 39.5 grains of Blue Dot got mixed in.

Rest of the squad thought it was hilarious, especially when the 2nd one went off ... but both birds were just ink balls!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington TGT12 wad. HMB

10. rocko

rocko Member

7/8 oz 8 1/2's @ 1150fps

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

HMB -

I'm curious why you need a fast burning powder? It must have something to do with "getting that first target as soon as possible" but I can't make the connection between the powder used and getting the first target quickly.

Scott

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Like BigM, I'm using Alliant's new Extra-Light. Keven, at Downrange put me onto his new 1oz purple Windjammer, and with #8's in an STS hull, it does a good job.

break 'em all....mike

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

faster burning powder helps to kick open pattern for first shot

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

There Mr Calhoun, Twinbirds has your answer.

;)

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I like 1 ounce of 8 1/2's at 1200 or 7/9 oz of 9's at 1300. You don't need a bunch of shot to break a bird that you KNOW where it will be! it's abour recoil for me. If I wasn't recoil prone, I would shoot fast, heavy loads. I can't handle a bunch of recoil and stay in the gun so I shoot lighter loads. Jeff

16. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Do you need 1200 fps for a bird that you know where its coming out? Or is the rise of the target dictating a faster shell?

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Scott,

You pull the trigger, you have to wait for the firing pin to strike the primer, then you have to wait for the primer to ignite the powder. Now the powder is burning and producing enough pressure to push the wad and shot down the barrel toward the target. With a slow burning powder this could take for ever. With a fast burning powder like Red Dot you can still have time to shoot the second bird while it is still rising. HMB

18. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Here we go again ---

From the same survey done by Phil Kiner that I quoted on your other thread ---

Survey was done with Harlan Campbell, Leo Harrison 111, Ricky Marshall, Eric Munson, Bob Munson and Ray Stafford.

"Very significant: absolutely no skeet or improved cylinder chokes for the first shot" The most open choke of the group was .017, with the exception of Harlan at .30, they were all in the .017 to .020 range.

Shells used for first shot were as follows --

Harlan -- 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 of 8's

Leo ----- 1 oz of 8's

Ricky --- 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 of 8's

Eric ---- 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 of 8's

Bob ----- 1 oz 8's

Ray ----- 1 oz 8's

I had Tom Seitz do my Super-X barrel back around 1983 0r 1984, It had .032 thousands choke. Using that barrel for all events I broke 300 in one day in 1985 (singles, handcap(27), and doubles) and many other 100's in doubles with that gun, NOTHING BEATS GOOD GUN POINTING.

Tom Seitz also did a Berreta O/U for me that had .020 first shot and .030 second. Currently I shoot a Kreighoff Trap Special, without screw in chokes, that Tom Wilkinson did the barrels and the choking is .017 and .027 on the O/U and .034 on the top single. I completed my second grand slam with this gun.

Start off with what the top shooters are using not what some poster hiding behind a fictitious name is telling you to do. That way you will have a chance to get better. Talk to and OBSERVE the top shooters, that's where you will get the best advise. and above all, make it fun.

Tom Strunk

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Knuteshooter, 1200 fps is not necessary but it tends to be more difficult to find light 7/8 and 1 oz loads in reloading. Your typical 1150 1 1/8 load is fine for 2nd bird. Remington makes a slick 7/8 oz 1100 fps load thats just great for first bird doubles...

20. Shawn

Shawn Member

Knuteshooter
    The Federal Extralite 1 1/8 ounce loads go 1100fps and are good for first shot.

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

leo harrison 111