1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st round almost always bad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have the same exact problem. It is so frustrating to drop that target on the first trap knowing right then and there the 100 is gone and most likely your out of the running. If you can figure it out please let me know I'm right there with you.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It is a one target game. The only thing you have to do is break the target you are calling for. Not the final score "It is so frustration to drop that target on the first trap knowing right then and there the 100 is gone" remember the other 99 don't count just the one you are calling for right now.

Bob Lawless

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Boy Bob

I wish it was just that easy. :).

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The same thing happens to me. However, rather than shoot an entire practice round, I've started shooting about ten warm-up targets, just to get a feel for things.

When I shoot registered targets, the one-hundred-bird runs now seem a little less like a real grind, and my scores have gone up some.

Just a thought.

Best,
    Dennis

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

widomaker I never said it was easy but every time you think a negative thought you are practicing the wrong attitude. There is no room for IF I break this target it has to be WHEN I break this target. There can be no room for doubt in your attitude.

You say it is not easy you are right that is why everyone is in AW of the big guns because it isn't easy. Yet I am willing to bet if you asked any of the better shooters I believe that they would tell you a positive attitude is important. I also doubt you will find any going to the line that are thinking that the first round is always bad.

Bob Lawless

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

Quit putting so much pressure on yourself to shoot a perfect score and shoot each target like it's the most important one of the round. You have to realize that the pregame jitters or anticipation of shooting a good score is a good thing and that without those emotions you would never shoot a perfect score. My first ten shots of a registered round are the hardest to control my emotions. My knees shake my hands sweat ect. I have had to learn to make a routine that I follow for every shot and it includes deep breathing for relaxation. Practice at home relaxing so that when you get to the line you can induce relaxation at will. Remember this game is 90% mental, so you have to practice the mental aspect more than the mechanical. If your ready menatlly the mechanical part will take care of it's self.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Sounds like a self induced "pressure" thing?

You miss a couple on the first trap and then relax and run the rest.

John C. Saubak

8. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

You could deliberately drop the first one out to get it over with, then concentrate on the 99. But then, I'm not one to be giving advice. (-:

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get one of Terry's wall charts and practice before you leave the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.