1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PAR8HED, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Before time passes and I don't get this done, thought I would say a few words. Spent last Friday - Sunday at the Grand, first time there. I had heard it was huge, but was still not prepared for the size of the event. Simply amazing. Yes, the heat was beastly. I wasn't shooting since the plan was to size up the event for (hopefully) next year and do some shopping. But I really felt sorry for all you who braved that heat to get in your rounds.

With the heat and the crowds, it seemed like the perfect mix for cranky people. Not so. Not even close. Every person I met was cheerful, friendly and extremely helpful, no exceptions. To all of you I met in passing or shared a moment with, thanks for making the weekend such fun. It really is what makes trapshooting so different than any other sport I have ever known.

I seemed to find someplace to cool off everywhere. Ok, so a few times it was looking at those really nice motor coaches. But I was amazed at the facility. Not having been to previous events, I can't compare it to anything. But everything was clean, you could find good food and a place to relax for a moment. I didn't have to go looking for something cold to drink, there were vendors or machines everywhere. And they weren't charging $5.00 for a can of coke either.

I've seen some posts regarding the future of the sport. Seems safe to me after seeing the number of young people shooting. They seemed to outnumber the adults. And perhaps it would be nicer to have it in September when it is a bit cooler. All I can say is this, from what I saw the Grand is one class event. Those who do the work to put it on, deserve more thanks than they probably get to hear.

From this first year shooter, I had a blast. Thanks to all who made it so.

Hal Hitchcock

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hal.. Thanks for the positive comments. Next year will be my first year there, and is an event I have been looking forward to for many years. Thanks for reaffirming my committment to attend.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Hal, With an atitude like yours we are in good future hands. Glenn

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Hal, last year was my first time to shoot the GAH. My name was not on the leader board, but I absolutely loved the experience. I saw a lot of friends there, enjoyed some great food (Harlan Campbell Sr. is a World Class Cook) and conversation. Vendors row was an experience in and of it'self. Couldn't make it this year but am planning on it next. What a place huh? J.Woolsey

5. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I agree, I've been shooting sporting down there for about 1 1/2 years and am used to seeing the place empty. To my amazement, last weekend had teh place full! The wife and I spenta 1/2 day walking around. Awesome happening! I want to try my hand at trap, but it's intimidating for a newbie. Not the shooting, but all the classifications and stuff.

6. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Attended and shot 2 days prelim. Had a great time and could not believe the whole set up. Awesome!! Will I go ago? You bet!! Stayed about 25 miles to north, 30 minute drive in the country, no problem, nice relaxing drive. Hard to believe all this from a Buckeye that grew up with the Grand in my backyard. I will always remember Vandalia, but Sparta is growing on me.

7. bas

bas Member

Hal - thanks for such a NICE post and a true first timer's observation. The facility is almost beyond belief in its sheer size...but the thing to me that has always defined the Grand is that, any current ATA member can participate. And, when you think of it...shooting at the world's largest trapshooting tournament with the very best trapshooters in the world...that's pretty awesome. Not every sport offers that!

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

(blush) thanks all. Hammer, jump in! Trust me on this, all you have to say is I'm a rookie and 50 people will help you figure it out.

Forgot to mention, I stayed in downtown St. Louis. It was a little of a drag having an hour drive back and forth. On the flip side, half of it was interstate and I got to sit with the A/C blasting on me for an hour. Next year, I'll look for someplace a little closer.

As an aside, I was looking around the terminal at STL waiting on my flight. There are Browning caps, Remington shirts, you name it including me and my Perazzi shirt. If TSA had a clue.....

Hal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.