1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1st garrison green, now hi tec plastics...BELLY UP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bobski, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

Im sure some of you range owners got the same email i did.
    basically epa shut them down and looks like we are stuck with all our hulls still on site. and what about all you guys that gave hulls to them?
    read for yourselves.....

----------------
    Dear range owner,

Well, the time has come for a final decision and the fate of the Shotgun Hull Recycling program. When Hi-Tec took over the program, there was very little known about the environmental impact of the shot hulls. Garrison Green had some work done on the amount of metal and brass in each shell, as well as the make-up of the plastic that was used. Our joint success was in the recycling of all three of these components.

Unfortunately, we recently worked with the office of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) on the noise level while grinding, and while they were here on any contaminants that might be in the shot hulls. OSHA came back with results of lead in the operation, between 12 and 15 times the acceptable levels. The requirements to ensure employee safety during this operation, and to minimize the health risk to our employee base, are too great to out-weigh the benefits of the recycling program.

I can tell you honestly that these results are frustrating. We started a program to keep items out of landfills, and then ended up with an operation that is not only unsafe, but unhealthy for our employees.

We appreciate all of your patience and understanding during the transition process, and hope all of you find success in your shops going forward.

Thanks for your support in this program, and we look forward to keeping in contact with many of you and are hopeful we can offer some other types of program in the future.

Tim Dailey

General Manager

Hi-Tec Plastics Recycling

720-644-2460

---------------
    so,
    there is definatley a breech of contract here. we all spent man hours sorting and bagging in the hopes of being compensated for the effort. now they politely say see-ya.
    how do you read this letter? are they saying its over? but note they dont tell us what to do with the tons of hulls we have bagged. are they just assuming we bring them to a landfill?
    anyone out there in the legal world see a lawsuit pending over this?
    inputs guys...lets here them.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

And it seemed like such a lucrative business idea.

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    That's a bit of sarcasm for you slower folk.

3. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

i saw it coming when they couldnt even get a bag order right when i started.

i could say i told ya so...but i gave them the benefit of the doubt.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

So if this is an unsafe process, then how does the manufactures of shot shells do business? This appears to be a cop-out to get of a mess they got in to by taking it over.

As far as being a breach of contract. Law suit? Good luck with that. You know you can't get blood out of a turnip. Was your contract with Garrison Green? I think you don't have a leg to stand on.

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Why the hell is it every time something goes wrong we hear Lawsuit. If the bagging of hulls was at a club with vol. help how much were they hurt financially??

Was there a contract?

6. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

So now we return to throwing the hulls in the garbage and then off to a land fill. Guess where this one is going?

Now if this is so environmentally unsafe to recycle how safe is it to dump?

And you trust this government and its agencys?

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per RogerC I'd be wanting a 2nd\3rd opinion on that. And Rick Barkers ? about reloaders, yes I have read all the warnings on shot bags. Maybe it's because we only load for short periods not 8 hrs a day 5 days a week??? Lots of possibilities. Ross Puls

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Maybe thats why all Trapshooters are funny? Jeff
    bigbore613_2008_030352.jpg

9. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Innovative upstart PRIVATE company creating jobs, reducing demand for plastic (that's oil, folks), reducing landfill volume, and subject to the Fed's M's of pages of regs - this one was DOA.

Guess ya can just go back to burning those empties....

K

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know logic has no part here but wouldn't you think EPA would be working to make this doable? This is where they live, the environment. Something here doesn't make sense.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Again, name me a government agency that WORKS??

The EPA is just one of the many!! (all in general)

About the only one that works is the Military, WHEN allowed!

Remember the whole issue of "lead" is about control!!

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We're being told that we need to specially recycle our compact fluorescent light bulbs, because one - just one - in the landfill will contaminate a thousand tons of garbage from the mercury in it.

First of all, how do you "contaminate garbage"? It's garbage! In a landfill!

Second, if recycling shotshells exceeds lead limits, wouldn't recycling CFLs containing enough mercury to contaminate a thousand tons of garbage exceed mercury limits for recycling? Are these being entombed in a special toxic waste dump? Or are they being sent to China where the EPA does not exist?

13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

for the sake of xp100, im going to assume you arent a range owner. if im wrong, correct me.
    but a couple things happened here.
    1. there was an advertisement.
    2. clubs responded to the advertisement and were guarenteed a reward.
    3. a written contract was required and signed.
    4. manhours were spend preparing loads seperating your cigars and half eaten lunches, and soda cans placed in HULLS ONLY barrels.
    5. manhours were spent apparently exposed to extreme hazards that we werent made aware of....seperating these hulls.
    6. white flyer delivered these hulls to green and it appears they werent compensated.
    7. WE most obviously werent compensated.
    8. i just have 5 bags sitting in my open air hay barn. but some clubs have 10 20? 30?
    do you have any idea what that smells like? how about rodents? these bags have been sitting for some time. sure now we throw them away, but those bags weigh 1 ton. you dont just get the guys together and toss it in the dumpster. so theres some more manhours slowly filling dumpsters.
    9. extra club costs now....for dumpster calls. remember, we did this to cut down on dumpster costs and pickups.
    10. and bottom line...it was a broken contract.

im just a novice, but in my opinion....theres gonna be a lot of mad people over this.
    me? heck, i'll just use it for dirt road errosion fill.
    so....yes, i think something can become of this. im just curious what it will be.

14. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Were the contracts transfered to the new owner of Garrison Green? If not GG should be sued but it looks like they no longer exist. If Hi-Tec accepted all assets and liability maybe there are grounds for a suit. Its going to be hard to prove how much actual monetary damage was done to each club that entered into a contract with them.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How does an empty shotgun shell have 15 times the acceptable level of lead? HMB

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

HMB: I agree. Wouldn't this have been a question to have asked of the right people at the beginning?

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

other than at the very top of the shell, at the crimp, where exactly is the lead residue coming from?

18. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

With the recent news about what the IRS has been doing and the all out attack on anything related to the gun/shooting industry,why is anyone surprised at the EPA ruling.

19. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

In todays political climate startup businesses are basically screwed. The role of government used to be to protect citizens, provide services, act as an agent of the people. Now the era of stop, restrict, rule, fine, and tax enters the scene. The government agencies of today find it far easier to restrict, shutdown and tax than they do to help and nurture. Ever deal with EPA or OSHA?
    some of the above posts indicate many have not.. Larry

20. scorpman

scorpman Member

I have no dog in this fight, but I just wanted to comment to possibly answer some of the questions people had in this about the health hazards of hulls. Normal usage and reloading of hulls should be fine - just wash your hands before eating. Reading the letter in the beginning they state they are grinding the shells. This seems to be where the problem is. I have taken HAZWOPER training for my job. The grinding process would release small particles into the air that would be easily inhaled and would also get on skin or clothes. Any residue in, or on, the hulls would become airborne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.