1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz what is it based on

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ricks1, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

what is 1 oz of shot based on. 1 oz is 437.5 gr one oz on any dipper or bushing will not weigh that much. I have tried down to 9s it must be size 12

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

1oz is 1oz.....The more antimony, IE... the harder the shot, the lighter it is.
    Pure lead is heavier than hard lead.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is based on what the scale reads, not what the bushing throws. The bushing makers are playing it safe, they do not want to give you an overload. HMB

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have 3 shot bushings that are spot on for chilled Lawrence shot. My 7/8 oz 8's, 1 oz 8's, and 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's. These are all Hornady bushings. My 7/8 oz 7 1/2's bushing throws right at 24 grams with Lawrence magnum 7 1/2's.

I've never had any Mec bars that were even close. I always used a wheel cylinder hone to get get the size i needed for an accurate drop.

ss

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shot bushings can be enlarged quickly with a file to get the desired weight. But the next lot of shot can give a different weight through the bushing. Not all shot comes out the same. The only time I am really concerned about the exact number of shot in the shell is when I am testing patterns. Then, I wounder why I take so much time to get so little information.

Pat Ireland

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

My shot bushings are marked for the size of shot. 8 1/2s will wiegh more than sevens ect. useing the same bushing for both. Post-2

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Uh, 437 grains of "shot" delivered by whatever means necessary.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I honed my mec 1 oz bushing out to weigh 1 oz. Since than it's never measured more than 6 or 7 pellets either way. A 14 pellet spead is not something I'm going to worry about. Originally the bushing droped around 15/16 oz +-.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I'm currently whittling away on my MEC 1 oz charge bar with a rat tail file, trying to get ~1 oz shot (+) consistently. Kind of a pain...we'll see. Regards, Ed

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's based on a particular setting of my dial bar that matches the shot I am using.

HM

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's the weight of 1/16 of a pound located right on the North or South pole. As you move further away from the earth's rotational axis it gets lighter because it's swinging around at higher speed.

-Gary

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's also why shot speed is higher when you're shooting toward the equator.

-Gary

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

1 oz by weight, not by volume. Most fixed volume shot bushings throw light if you are using hard shot.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's also interesting that 1 ounce is the heaviest load you can shoot before the mass begins to cause the shot pattern begins to rotate (counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere). That's because any number smaller then 1, when squared, yields a lesser number.

-Gary

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

How about minus 1 1/8 ounce, Gary? A weight like that is easily achieved by simply turning a bushing inside out and it gets bigger when fired because of the square rule. The only drawback is that you have to keep an eye on your shell boxes on the line lest they drift away on a breeze.

But you are right about shot speed being higher when shooting toward the equator, that's why trap fields face north; it's an attempt to limit pellet velocity without making people read the rulebook.

Neil

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I wish you guys would be serious. I'm just trying to learn you some stuff.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.