1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz w/ Hodgdon Int'l Clays?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

1oz w/ Hodgdon Int

Been playing with some one ounce loads for Hodgdon International Clays lately. Using STS hull, CCI primer, Claybuster 1oz wad, and 1oz 8.5 shot, and trying to get a load around 1200 fps. The loads seem to work fine (sounds fine, breaks targets well, no off sounding or punky shells, but there is alot of unburnt powder in the barrel, which leaves me a little concerned. I've read before that this is common with international when loading 1 oz shells due to the low chamber pressure (which is listed @ 6800 psi for my load). Would switching to Federal 209A primers help with this (it shows a bump up to 7500 psi w/ federal primers). I hate to have to buy another powder since I just bought an 8lb'er of International, and am really not in a position right now to go out and buy another 8lbs of 12ga powder for the season....

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Yes, changing to a hotter primer will help. So will warmer weather. The closer you get to a minimum of 8000psi, the better off you will be.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How do yo know the powder in the barrel is unburnt? HMB

4. skeet_man

because when I shoot a std 1 1/8oz load, the barrel is as clean as can be, and when I drop back to 1oz, there are numerous flakes of powder that remain in the barrel...

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had the same problem skeet man and never really resolved it with International so I use Clays for 7/8 and 1 Oz loads and International for the 1 1/8 Oz shells.

I really don't know that the powder residue is an indicator of poor performance but I feel more confident with the loads that leave little to no trace in the tube. Probably just my quirk.

6. skeet_man

wolfram- did you ever try a federal primer too see if that made a difference? I'll probably go to my local supplier in the morning and pick up a couple hundred to try, can't hurt any just to see. I could always buy something else if I HAD to, but I hate to let this jug of int'l sit here and buy something else, especially if I don't know for sure if I want to make the switch to 1oz yet or not....

7. bling 27

bling 27 Member

Skeetman, I shoot nothing but International Clays now. I have shot 3/4 oz. with nothing left in the barrel. With a 1oz. load use a remington hull sts nitro or gun club, 20gr International Clays, Win 209 primer or Rem209p, TGT wad. This is very clean. I believe the problem is the wad. If I load this same load with a different wad , I too will see powder in the barrel. Good luck, Wayne

8. skeet_man

Wayne- Thanks. I'm currently using 18.4 grains of clays (half way b/w the book load for 1180 fps and 1235 fps, trying to get as close to 1200 fps as I can). I only have the claybuster wads as part of a lot of reloaders and supplies I bought, they don't really run too smoothly through my 9000G either, so when their gone, their gone LOL.

I did pick up a couple hundred 209A Federal primers tnight. If that doesn't make the difference, i'll try legit Remington wads and see what that does for me.

9. wolfram

I usually use Federal 209A primers Skeetman, right now I'm working off a supply of the remington 209p. Couldn't tell any difference although the Fedearal are supposed to give higher pressures. The wad I use the most often the remington TgT12s but I have tried a bunch of them including the WWAAL (pink) Fed 12s3, down range XXL. No real improvements. I also load in STS or gun clubs if that makes any difference. I think the key to the clean burn is getting the pressures up which you can no doubt do but then you will be way above your 1,200 FpS target and the fun of shooting the 1Oz loads kind of goes away.

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

My only load now is 15/16 - 1 oz (what it weighs out to using 1 oz bar) 20 grains international, green duster wads, Remington 209PSTS primers in STS, Nito or gun clib hulls. Leaves minimun powder in barrel and can be upped quite a bit hotter if one perfers. This load works well for me. The only thing I change sometimes is shot size depending on sport shot. This load is still easy on the shoulder.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

International Clays is a great powder, but not too well suited for light 1oz loads, unless you can get the pressures up around 8000 PSI at a minimum. The powder is well suited for higher velocities with 1oz. Clays would have been a better choice for the light loads, but I think you are on the right path by using the Federal 209A Primer. Other primers could work about as well. The Winchester W209, CCI209M, and the Rio G-600 are a few that have worked for me with International Clays, as well as the Federal 209A.

12. skeet_man

I loaded up some shells w/ federal 209A primers the other day, and took a couple to the club last night to test fire. The federal primer made all the difference in the world, just as clean burning as my 1 1/8oz loads w/ it. I finished loading the 200 trial primers I bought, and will shoot them this weekend to make sure all is well before I go buy a few thousand federal primers for the 12ga.

13. wolfram

What was your charge weight of International where you got the clean burn Skeetman? (1 Oz load combo)

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I believe he mentioned 18.4 grains of International Clays.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Try 17.4 Clays with 1 oz. load using either a Spolar wad or Green Duster and AA primer = 1,200 ft./sec. Very comfortable and clean. Save the International for 1 1/8 of shot. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1oz 12ga loads with international clays

best 1oz clays load

clays 1oz trap

clays powder 1 oz load

hodgdon clays 1 oz reduced loads

international clays powder trap load