1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz vs 1 1/8oz ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by brian meyerhofer, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I have noticed when buying shells that 1oz loads are becomming more popular. What is the advantage to 1oz over 1 1/8oz? Is it just me or are there a lot more 1 oz loads available now?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

With the high cost of shot it is a way of keeping costs down. That is also the reason so many shooters reload 7/8 and 1 oz. loads.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just broke a nice, sharp, practice 25 straight from the 27 last night with fast 1 oz. reloads. No guarantees I wouldn't have broke 18 on the next 25 but that's Handicap. Another buddy shot my other box, didn't do as well but enjoyed the experience!!

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

More money in the pocket of the manufacture is one of the major reasons why.

If they produce 1oz along with 1-1/8oz people will purchase both and the more 1oz they produce the more people will buy of them when the 1-1/8oz is not available.

Just think of it ... they are selling them both at the same price but in a box of shells there is 3.125oz less of shot and in a flat that is 31.25oz less of shot and that 31.25oz equals out to how much money at current costs?

Yep ... you will be seeing allot and I mean allot more 1oz loads out there for the same price as 1-1/8oz loads.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Lighter recoil is another reason.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I started loading 1 oz loads in the '70s and that's been my meat and taters ever since. Reduced recoil and a free shell's worth of shot every 9th load (or 50 more shells per bag of shot) was the issue then and it's not changed.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Reduced costs and lower recoil and if the weather's good they work well all the way back to the 27 yard line.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hurricane force winds? Slight breeze? Downpour of rain? Misty/foggy/haze? Just what kind of weather will effect a 1oz load vs. a 1-1/8oz load at the 27yd line?

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Lumper you are in over your head again. Your pretending to know something is a joke. You would probably go to a gunfight with 2 shells in your six-shooter.

Don

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I save about $.20 to $.25 a box by loading 1oz. I don't see any real difference in my scores, so I'll shoot 1oz for pratice and anything informal, except caps and bigger money shoots. I'll use the 1 1/8 oz for the serious stuff. Maybe not because my scores would be any better, just because I like to have that extra bit of shot working for me. The recoil is also less for the 1oz, since I load to nearly the same velocities. I've used a decent 7/8 oz 8 1/2 shot load, but the jury is still out on them. They seem to work as well as the 1oz, but I need to get them on paper.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Technoid gave the best answer IMHO. It was something like this:

If you shoot at a level in which you can win or lose by one bird, and winning or losing is important to you, then shoot all the rules allow. But if you are shooting for fun, and less recoil or $ savings make it more fun, then shoot less shot.

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I tried 7/8s of #8.5s and they are fine for 16 yd. practice and skeet, but I was disappointed with the breaks I got at 16 yd. line. Quack Shot said it best...1 oz. reloads for informal & practice (and I would add league shooting)...but for handicap or "serious" competition 1 1/8 gives a little more confidence factor. Best Regards, Ed

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

When shooting handicap,there are holes in a pattern that are large enough for a bird to pass through. Lighter shot charges result in more holes. This negative aspect of light charges may be countered by the advantages of less recoil produced by the lighter charges.

Pat Ireland

14. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

What Pat said.

Personally, I shoot a 3 dram 1-1/8 oz load for singles & handicap.

hubcap

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

However, all the naysayers are willing and able to take the beating of full load shells, right? This is definitely a personal thing. Another way of making the point by the technoid, if you recognize your niche in trapshooting as not "usually" a serious risk to beat the big dogs and if shooting full bore handicap loads leave you with a sore neck, shoulder, and back, then 1 oz just may keep you competing and enjoying a lot of really good friends - harm in that? Only one answer for everyone?....Bob Dodd

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If that's addressed to me, 2labman, yes, I DO shoot to win but at the same time recognize that, after 35 years of experience, I'm not a serious threat to the best shooters at serious shoots. Once in a while I do pop a really good score (with 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads) and that keeps me charged. But, if I was limited to Nitro 27 or Super Handicaps or the killer Federals, I wouldn't be at the shoot long with those complaints mentioned in my post. I'd much rather down load my shells and keep shooting than to pay for a big shoot, develop a nasty flinch, and finance the chiropractor's next Mercedes. I'm already contemplating 100 sporties here and there rather than 800, 1000, or 1200 bird shoots and never will see Vandalia or Sparta. Surely you can see the point....Bob Dodd

17. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Bob - I certainly agree with you that recoil is an issue, which is the reason I shoot a 9 lb 391 Beretta. Recoil is not an issue with my particular gun/load combination.

I like the ability to pick up any box of shells I have knowing they are ALL loaded the same. Rather than having a seperate load for singles and handicap.

I am not advocating anyone else do the same, but it has worked for me so far.

regards

hubcap

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Less recoil

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I just started using 1 oz loads this year and they work great for 16's and first shot of doubles. My average has increased also. Less recoil and I'm not recoil sensitive. It probably doesn't do anything positive but I try to convince myself that I have to concentrate harder with less shot. LOL

Bill

20. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Yep, any fool knows you can break just as many targets with less shot. Duhhh! Being fair, however, I do know of a guy who won the North American Clay Target Championship shoot-off using STS light 8's (1 oz.), but that was a marathon where fatigue from re-coil was a factor, plus, when you centerpunch everything like M.L. McGuire....anything works.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.