1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz vs 1 1/8oz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mich746, Jun 8, 2013.

1. mich746

mich746 Member

I always shoot 1 1/8oz thinking they will break more birds. I know the 1oz are faster and have been told have less recoil. I shot some AA super handicaps today (totally unnecessary from the 20) and didn't like the recoil at all. Going to give some light 1oz a try for singles.....You think they will cost me any birds?

Your thoughts and opinions...........

2. cfchief

cfchief Member

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I also shot 1 1/8 oz forever but with shoulder problems and being recoil sensitive I gave 1 oz a try.
    I'm not the best shot but didn't see it hurting my scores so now all I shoot it 7/8 or 1 ounces loads

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

A light load of one ounce of 8's is all you need. No reason to beat yourself up.

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

It will only cost you targets if you think it will. My advice is to shot the one once loads but don't think about it. Just shoot the same as you always do. I personally think one once loads are all you need for singles. Good shooting. Dale

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

one once for everything! If the gun is pointed right, the target will break! If the gun is pointed wrong no shell will break the target, save your shoulder and a little money. I wish the ATA would mandate 7/8 oz.

7. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

I use 1 ounce loads for singles, doubles and handicap. For singles and handicap I use 17.6 grains of Clays with a Claybuster 1 ounce wad and 7 1/2 or number 8 shot in STS or Gunclub hulls. For doubles I use the afore mention load for the second shot and I substitute number 9 shot for the 7 1/2 or 8 shot for the first shot. Give it a try, you'll like it!! Craig

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Agree: One ounce!!

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Another advantage is if you reload, you get a few more shells from a bag of shot. It all adds up.

If I am buying new shells I buy 1 1/8. when I am reloading I load 1 oz loads.

If you can't hit em with one ounce loads, is that extra 1/8 gonna help?

Kenny U

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If there is no difference in the results then why mandate the lesser load. You are free to shoot any load up to 1 1/8. This discussion happens every 45 days, rain or shine.

Don

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I tested light (2 3/4 D.E) Remington STS shells against Nitro 27's. One-ounce shells ran second in pellet count. Ten shells, counted patterns, similar conditions and so on.

[​IMG]

Note that the "missing" pellets in the lighter shot-load shells would have been in the 0-20 inch circle which everyone counts on to work for them. The center 10-inch circle is more-nearly equal, though, and if that's the part of the pattern you always use, the one-ouncers may work as well as the heavier ones.

Another interesting point to notice is that in the speed change from light to handicap the patterns did not widen or degrade or anything like that. They are as similar as they could be. So speed does not "widen patterns" in the range we use for trap, nor does it apparently harm the pattern in any way.

Neil

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

With more clubs going to the bios which are harder to break, I find my 1 1/8 0z. 7 1/2's being more competitive. Particularly at two local clubs that throw champion clays. Bill

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Science has proven that "The more BB's you roll out there the better chance your have to hit the target" I hope all my fellow competetors go to 7/8 oz loads..

14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

You might try 1-1/8 oz reloads at 1150 fps.

15. alf174

alf174 Member

I've compromised by reloading with 1-1/16 bushing. I can't tell the difference except it's slightly lighter recoil.

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

alf. our family of shooters is using 1-1/16 exclusively, and a 29 bushing of Clays that measures 16.5 to 16.6 grs. They chrono averaging about 1180. Little punishment, seems to do well on the target.

Jack

The "Family" shoots a TMX, a MX15, and MX2000. The latter 2 are .736 bores, the TMX is orig .724.

17. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If you're worried about pellets count, 1 oz. of 8 1/2's have about the same count as 1 1/8 oz. of 8's. From the 16 yd. line that 1 oz load of 8 1/2's is great.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

8-1/2s are fine if you stand on the 19 yard line. Twaddle further back

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Neil has not addressed pellet size in his chart, only weight. 1 ounce of eights has more pellets than 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's. I think 8's will break any trap target. Therefore I have the advantage of more pellets and less recoil over anyone using the standard, beloved load of 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's.

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

In the last year,with the double 2 yard reductions, I went from 23 to 19 yard handicap. I thought I would try 1 ounce of 7 1/2 or 8's at 1145 fps. They work fine. I notice no diff. except less recoil. Clyde