1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz. vs. 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 dram,#7.5 or #8 shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cynergystan, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Recently read Trapshooting Is A Game of Opposites.Author says that under no circumstances should a shooter give up the 12% advantage realized by a heavier load of shot, nor use shot other than 7.5. Why then is there so much apparent joy expressed by shooters who have gone to 1oz loads and talk of going to 7/8 oz.loads? Why do so many shooters insist that there is no discernable difference between using 7.5 vs. 8? I am fairly new to this game. Is my thinking correct when I believe that everyone has an opinion, just like something else that everyone has,or should I be listening to and heeding the advice of the "experts" who write all the books on being a better trap shooter? Your counsel would be sincerely appreciated.(I just purchased several flats of 1oz., #8 shot, 2 3/4 dram; should I return it?)

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you listen to what everybody says you will never get anywhere on your own.

Hell no dont return it ... what did you pay for it and if it was cheap do they have anymore you can go buy? It aint the shell and it aint always the gun but a miss can almost always with a 99.9% percentage of accuracy be blamed on the shooter. Keep them and if you can get more do it now before it is to late.

The shell sounds like a Federal Top Gun or is ... just what kind are they?

3. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Charles Daly, at$39.99 a flat. I understand that some stores also have a coupon that affords a $1.00 rebate on each box, but I have yet to see one.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The shells you purchased with 1 ounce of #8's have more shot in them than the 1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2's. I know the argument about it taking less shot to break the bird using 7 1/2's and they hold their velocity better, etc. etc...However, just what are you going to use these shells for? If it's 16 yard, handicap, (23 yards or less), sporting clays, skeet, etc. you have a fine low recoil shell that you will enjoy shooting. I know a 4 time All American shooter that shoots nothing but 1 ounce loads for 16, handicap, (27 yards) and doubles. Use them with confidence and enjoy. I enjoy shooting 1 ounce loads. If most shooters would be honest with themselves, they would admit that the birds they missed were not due to lack of shot!! If you are a long yardage shooter, then I could be swayed to agree that 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 shot might be the proper choice. JMHO. Ed

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

1 oz of #8's has more shot in it than 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2's. I prefer the 1 oz loads because of the lighter recoil at the same speeds. As far as the 1/8 oz difference in shot, if your on target your on, if your off your off.

As far as the advice goes, take what works for you. There is some good advice here. The people that post here range from beginners to some really good shooters. Even a beginner can have something to offer.

Bill

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

What store ... what chain? Currently a very good price ... stock up on a couple more dozen or at least a few more flats.

7. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thanks esoxhunter. 16 yard trap, maybe 19 yard and sporting clays. I know little if anything about the "quality" of Daly shells, but the price is right. I did shoot about 125 Daly shells last weekend (not trap or sporting)and they seemed fine...very low recoil. Long yardage? I have yet to master 16 yard, but I keep trying.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Best bet shoot what you can afford. I love the remington game loads 1oz #8 or #7.5 is not to important to me. At 39.00 a case I buy them when in stock. As far as reloading I love my 1oz 7.5 loaded to 1145fps. Keep a log of what you shoot and what your scores are, just do not read to deep. You need to at least get to the point when you know it was a lack of your part before blaming the shells. I do think sticking withthe shells that you get your best scores with.

9. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Big 5. Los Angeles, Santa Monica. I will stop by there after work today and stock up. Especially because the range where I generally shoot gets $8.00 a box for the Rem AA's.They also get $8. per 25 targets. Six "games" and before you know it , you've gone through damn near $100. It ain't a cheap sport.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

cynergysta- I am an experienced trapshooter and I can assure you that 7.5 size shot will break more targets if you keep your head down than can be broken with #8 shot and your head off the stock.

Pat Ireland

11. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thanks Pat. I needed that.I just found out that the store where I purchased the "bargain" shells only has the 8's left, 1 1/8 oz. Should I buy them so long as I remember to keep my head down?

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

cynergystan, buy the 1 1/8 #8 if you can get them cheaply. As has been noted by others above, there are more pellets in 1 oz #8 than 1 1/8oz #7 1/2. However, there are way more pellets in 1 1/8 #8.

Last year when I kept track of such things, it did not seem to make any difference whether I shot 1oz or 1 1/8oz for scores of 96 and below. For scores 97 and higher, I averaged 1 bird more for each two events with 1 1/8. So, that's 1/2 bird higher average when I was shooting well. All Americans use 1 1/8 because they can shoot well and one bird makes a huge difference to them. I don't shoot so well, so I mostly use 1oz #8 in my fixed full choke barrel for singles.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just for the record ... I shot a couple days worth of bunker trap the other weekend and I can honestly say I missed more birds using 7-1/2's than I normally do with #8's but ... that is just an excuse ... it was not the shot that missed so get as many as you can at that price and do not worry about 1oz od 1-1/8oz, they will all do the job they are supposed to do if you do what your supposed to do first.

Shoot what you like and like what you shoot but dont ever shoot what you dont like or you might not like what you shot!

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"1 oz, #8 shot, 2 3/4 dram"

That describes the best 16 yd sgles load available. Suggest you keep the "several flats" and return the "Trapshooting is a Game of Opposites" book instead.

John C. Saubak

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Also, check the date of publication on Mr. Bennett's book, yes, 1992. Could there have been considerable research, improvements in shells and gun performance since that time? I date back to the time when switching to 1 oz was considered worse than just leaving the gun at home and expecting to run 100 birds at the club. Now people are discovering 7/8 oz loads will break birds if we bother to point at them and within reasonable bounds - even including bunker trap....Bob Dodd

16. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thanks to all of you who responded. Your responses are helpful and appreciated. When I realized how old Bennett's book is, I questioned the wisdom therein. Don't know whether Borders Books will accept my proffer of return. I'll probably keep the book in any event. Just checked with another store and learned they have a more than ample supply of 1oz, #8, 2 3/4 dram, as well as 1 1/8 oz. at $3.99 a box.I wonder how many flats I can get in my car before I do damage to the suspension and face repair bills far greater than what I saved on the "inexpensive" shells? Is this form of insanity prevalent among all trapshooters or am I terminally unique? More importantly, why am I spending all this time on the forum thread instead of trying to earn a living?

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

What kind of car ... if we know what kind of car we can find the specs and determine how many flats you can carry before you overload the car.

Also how much do you weigh and how full is the gas tank and also how much junk ya got in the trunk. Do you have any friends that will let you borrow a truck?

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

BrownK80 ... what chokes were you trying with the 7.5 shot?

19. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Improved modified, .025

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Stan ... not you ... the choke question was to BrownK80.

The question to you was what kind of car and such so we can figure out how many flats you can safely carry home ... ah what the heck, keep loading til the tires begin to bulge than put more air in them and keep loading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

using 3 dram loads from the 16 yard

using 8 shot 1oz from 16 yard trap