1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz. versus 1 1/8

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winselect, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

why not just shoot 1 1/8 all the time, its the same fps and dram

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

By dropping to 1oz, one can save 11% on shot. Dropping to 7/8 gets you an extra 20%... unless you need the extra pellets?!

Jay

3. winselect

winselect TS Member

Im shooting factory loads, so why not 1 1/8 all the time

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

For 39 years I shot 1 1/8th oz loads, last week I loaded 1 oz at 1250fps and I really liked them. I shot 21 grains of REX II in AA Case. I just loaded 19grs of
    Winchester Super Lite w/ 1 oz will try them wednesday. This load is not in the book, but I believe there will be more than 8000psi for good results.
    I have been shooting the 1 oz loads for protection shoots, using 8s and 7 1/2s
    with good results. I just don't like the 1290fps loads, too fast for me.

Dr.longshot

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

1 oz has less recoil than 1 1/8 oz.

John C. Saubak

6. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I tried the new 7/8 oz Downrange wads yesterday from the 16s. Inkballs with little recoil.

7. winselect

winselect TS Member

how does 1 1/8 have more recoil than 1oz. if its the same dram and fps
    K

8. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

Creates more presure to start the biger payload and then push it to the same speed.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Laws of physics still apply - 12.5% more shot (mass) means 12.5% more recoil at the same speed. Momentum is conserved.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that the targets you miss with a 1 oz load would also have been missed if you used the 1 1/8 oz load. 1 oz loads = Less recoil, less cost to shoot and no loss of efficiency. Can't beat that!! Ed

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I'm not Kay Ohye but when I went from 1 1/8 to 1 oz my scores went up, probably in my head but I dont see the need to go back?

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Why drive a V8 instead of a V6? Each driver/shooter pays their money and makes their choice. Personally, I opt more and more for 1 oz. & 7/8s and see little change in performance - actually some improvements. Best Regards, Ed

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

1.- If someone else was buying my shells, I would shoot 1 1/8 at everything also.

2.- I highly doubt that Kay would ever drop a singles target because he was using 1 ounce.

3.- For the amount of money that Kay is shooting for, why would he use anything but 1 1/8 for handicap?

Brett D.

14. kolar12

kolar12 Member

1 oz are great for singles. Good breaks and easy on the shot budget. If I do not reload, I will buy 1 1/8 for the same price. It is like buying a fuel efficient car. Gary

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Winselect - you have a little confusion in your thinking: A 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz load is generally in the area of 1145/1150 fps but the 2 3/4 dram 1 oz load is 1180 fps. In 3 dram language, the velocities are 1200 and 1235 respectively. It DOES make a difference in velocity if you stick with "drams" but your question could be simply "Why do it if they are the same velocity"? The answers are simple; #1, there is less recoil in a 2 3/4 dram 1 oz load than the same dram with 1 1/8 oz load. If you stick to the same velocity and drop the drams consideration, then it clearly will have even less recoil; reason #2 is economy - there are many who cut every corner possible and using 1 oz of 8s in a load will equal 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s in number of pellets even if not as much energy per pellet; #3 to those that compare me, and most of us, to Kay Ohye is "That's ludicrous" - I am what I am, I recognize my age, failing eyesight, physical condition, inability to travel from shoot to shoot most of all year, and so on will have me NEVER be in a class with the best of the best. But, am I having fun shooting clay birds, with an economical load, one that doesn't beat me up, breaks a lot of targets from all distances? You bet.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

16. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

Budget aside, the only reason I shoot 1-1/8 oz loads is because they won't let me use 1-1/4. Maybe it comes from watching 155 howitzers with cannister rounds.

17. pdq

pdq Member

If you buy factory shells, is there a place to buy where the 1 oz. loads cost 12.5% less than the 1 1/8th loads?

Seems like they should cost that much less given that shot is a major cost component, but the few places I've bought from seem to charge the same amount.

Pete

18. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

As a new class D shooter. My thery is the more pellets I can put out there the better chance I have to get a brake. It only takes one or two pellets to get a chip.

19. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

yeah you have more pellets in the air but you have more flyers too, with 1 oz you have a tighter pattern with less flyers, i found with 1 oz i got better breaks then with 1 1/8, not to mention the recoil reduction and almost all the points listed above for shooting 1 oz loads, and shooting from the 27 i still get good breaks with 1 oz of 8s at the 27 i want a tighter pattern to eliminate holes in the pattern.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

avidtrapshooter- I also want a tight pattern, especially for handicap. The pattern testing I have done does not support your position.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.