1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz reloads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I want to start reoading again it's been some time, last week I shot some 1oz reloads and just wondering what I need to change to reproduce that load. Currently I have a Mec 6oo using a 30 bushing and Red Dot powder and AA wads 1.1/8oz I know I need to buy 1oz wads but do I need to change powder busing and powder or can I just down size the wads? I've been loading # 8 shot but have a bag of 9 as well. Any help appreciated.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You might be OK but you need a scale to weigh the powder drop and an Alliant manual or look on their website for a 1 oz recipe.

3. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

1 oz and #30 bushing with red dot will likely give you fart sounding reports and low velocities. You need more powder with lighter payloads. I had to go with a #34 to get to the recommended powder charges, but as the previous poster said - don't load with a bushing until you've actually weighed the charge.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bruce, Yes you will need a one oz. wad. If I were you I would go down to a 29 bushing as well, if you like the speed your at now with the l l/8 oz. 17 grains of powder with Red Dot in a one l oz. load is very nice to shoot. You really do need to check your powder drops with a scale. If your loading without one now do buy one. A balance scale is the most accurate and least expensive in most cases. Oh Yeh, you will need to buy a one oz. charge bar as well. The scale will come in handy to adj. shot drop to check that as well. Mec's bars are going to drop light shot charges all the time if not reemed out some. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

I would strongly suggest you spend some time on the web sites of alliant, whinchester, hogdon, etc and review the loading data to ensure you are in compliance with published loads.
    It is important to note that the # stamped on the side of the bushing has no revelance other than a decent starting point. The charges must be weighed to confirm.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A one ounce bar for that loader if one ounce is in the works?

Hap

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Never load by just bushing numbers. It is much more safe to load by actual powder drop weights as given by a scale. Every batch of powder can vary enough where i've had to go up or down as much as 2-3 bushing numbers. That amount could be the difference between a safe load and overloaded. Its best to use bushing recommendations and charts as a rough guideline and let the scale be the real answer. I want you to stay safe. It can not only harm yourself but anyone else shooting with or around you should you make reloading mistakes. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Just say'n........................

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

"I want to start reoading again it's been some time, last week I shot some 1oz reloads and just wondering what I need to change to reproduce that load."

Well Bruce, what hull, what primer, what wad, what powder......? All we know with your info is thats it's 1 oz. I'll be glad to help. Give us some more info.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.