1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz. loads in handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ric3677, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

NO!

JMHO

Rickyd

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

From a 27 yard shooter.....NO!!! Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

4. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

....kinda like running the Nascar with a lawn mower engine....

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It aint really the load or the gun ... well maybe a little tiny bit the load and the gun but it is mainly the shooter using the gun and the load.

If 1oz loads were all that was legal to use they would be using them and you really would not see a reduction in scores ... now there will be many who will disagree and say it aint so but those are the ones who need all they can get and they keep looking for more because they cannot do it themselves ... remember it aint the load or the gun but the shooter.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would ask..."How many out there have won a big registered handicap shoot with 1 ounce loads?" Hopefully you'll get honest answers.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mr. Newbie... You are correct, the very best shooters would still win IF EVERYONE had to shoot 1oz. loads, but, the fact is, they don't have to use 1oz. loads, and therefore, they don't. You may, or may not, see a reduction in scores, but, I can guarantee you this: If the rules allow 11/8oz of shot, EVERY TOP SHOOTER IN THE COUNTRY will continue to shoot them. Why? Because the rules allow it and that rule gives them the advantage over anyone foolish enough to believe they can beat these guys shooting 1oz. from the 27. Another one of your obviously ignorant statements is that "it ain't the load or the gun, but the shooter". FYI, it really is sometimes the load, the gun, or a combination of both. I have seen, many times, in my shooting career, shooters that were mid class shooters that changed guns, loads, or both, and immediately went to the top of the heap. As a shooter, you just have to be smart enough to be able to determine the difference in order to achieve more success on the line. Your increditably inaccurate posts never cease to amaze me. Sir, it is my opinion that you know nothing about what you are talking about, and if you do, you sure have an abrasive way of showing it... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dan ... we are in agreement ... neither of us know what we are talking about.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is not rocket science.

If you throw an additional 12.5% of shot you will miss less birds.

Now, I shoot a lot of 1 oz loads for practice but that is for economy (for me) and to reduce recoil (for my gf).

Why would you limit yourself in competition?

Don

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is not difficult to shoot a few 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz patterns, at 35-40 yards, and count the holes in the center of the pattern that are large enough for a target to pass through. They will be present in both loads but more numerous in one of them.

Pat Ireland

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pat; You are not going to tell us are you?? Saving it all for yourself.

Don

12. 3DHC

3DHC Member

I shot 1 oz loads to the 24 yard line and more or less hit a block wall. I later went to 1-1/8 oz loads and ultimately went on to the 27. I also think you need the 1-1/8 oz loads for the second shot of doubles.

It wouldn't bother me if the ATA mandated 1 oz loads but I wouldn't consider using them in long yardage HC while others use 1-1/8 oz loads. The 27 yard line is a struggle for me as I usually find myself competing against shooters that consistently shoot high scores while I bounce all over the place.

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

This always cracks me up. The way I see it if they can use 7/8 oz loads in bunker (olympic trap) and run them than there's no reason 1 oz loads won't work well in 27 yrd HC. I guarantee the birds are much farther away in bunker than they are at 27 yards not to mention one hell of a lot faster. Go shoot a few rounds of Bunker and you'll know what I mean.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, the question should be, "Can I win, shooting 1 oz, in handicap".
    The short answer, Yes, until you reach a yardage where the top shooters are using 1 1/8 loads.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you are planning to shoot against me...then YES...by all means use 1 oz. loads.

Curt

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Don,

I doubt than any shooter that has spent a few bucks on travel and entry fee's at one of the larger shoots is going to use 1 oz loads for 'caps.

That being said, the pellet count in 1 oz of 8's is nearly identical to that of 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's. 8's have no problem breaking targets from the 27 yrd line from someone that shoots fairly fast.

I have shot a few rounds with those cheapie Federal 1 oz 1290fps (actually closer to 1250fps) and shot about the same as I do with 1 1/8oz payloads.

If I were a short yardage shooter, I would have no problem using a 1 oz 1200fps shell. All of my shooting is done from the 25yd line or further back. The only thing I shoot from lesser yardage is skeet and doubles.

ec90t

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The 27yd. line was created in an era of cardboard wads and shells that patterned the same with 1 1/8oz. as the new 1oz. Handicap loads pattern today. Shooters of that era still attained the 27yd line and won tournaments, although probably not as many. Mandatory 1oz. loads for Handicap events will likely correct some of the inequities in the system!!

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They use 7/8 in the Olympics, speed kills. HMB

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And the Top Dog still wins. It's comparable to the top dog being allowed to shoot 7/8 oz, and your limited to 3/4 oz. Your limiting yourself to less than your competition.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The top dogs stand on the 27 and the little dogs stand in front of them. Please try again to convince me the big dogs have an advantage over the little dogs with 1oz. of shot and why!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1oz loads for 27 yrds