1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz load with Green Dot....... what do you think?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

What do you all think of Green Dot to achieve a 1200fps 1oz load (19.8gr GD, CB1100 wad, AA hull, F616 primer, 1oz #8mag)? Or would Red Dot be a better choice? I'm trying to get a good 1oz load, but one light on recoil. Will I really feel less recoil if I use GD instead of RD? What do you folks think?

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

good load, just not in the winter.

barry kemper

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I shoot 19.5 grains plus or minus with a nobel primer and CB12SL wad in a AA hull.Book states 1235 fps.As Barry quoted the only problem is it burns dirty and cool temperatures will cause bloopers.If you keep the shells warm just before you shoot them this helps ,But around 45 degrees I would use red dot.As far as less felt recoil you will have to be the judge.PJ

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I just checked the Alliant website http://www.alliantpowder.com/ and using Remington hulls, they list 20 recipes for Green Dot and 20 recipes for Red Dot. Both sound plenty versatile. Pick your poison. I use Red Dot. Mark

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Finding a light recoiling load is easy, finding one that gives a good standard deviation number, or a complete burn is a horse of a different color. Unburn powder residue is a sure sign of a bad burning load. Bad loads will break targets, they just don't work year round or all the time during good weather either. Find a load that works well during the winter and it works great in the summer also?

Hap

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Good info from Sir Hap!

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've fired about 80,000 rounds of 1 ounce loads with 18.5-19 grains of Green Dot with a hot (F209A or CCI209M) primer. They chronograph about 1225 fps for me, 4 feet from the muzzle, and I get standard deviations in the single digits. Flats of these shells stay in my truck year 'round, meaning I take no special care to keep them warm in the dead of winter. If I had an issue with bloopers while shooting clays in sub-freezing temps, I wouldn't be using them. It has been, and will remain, my bread and butter load for all clays shooting.

That said, good 12ga target loads are a dime a dozen and you shouldn't have to compromise to find one. The only other 12ga powder I use is E3. I got interested in 7/8 loads for my SxS and used up 2 kegs of Red Dot before giving up on it. Dirt doesn't matter to a lot of people; it matters if it can get into your action. I had 2 potentially dangerous incidents with my SxS due to Red Dot residue interfering with the triggers. I switched to E3 and found it about 1/2 grain faster than Red Dot, squeaky clean, American made (like Red Dot)and, coincidentally, gave me the most consistent low-temperature load I've ever tested. There have been reports of poor metering with E3 with certain equipment. It meters very well thru a metal powder baffle on my 9000G. I'd happily use it for 1 ounce, too, but I have so much faith in the Green Dot load I can't see switching.

8. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I just choreographed some 1 oz green dot with 8 shot, clay buster 3118 wad in nitro hull at 1280 fps I plan on using them for handicap.

Dave

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have used Green Dot in both 12 and 20 ga. for my hunting loads and have never had a cold weather blooper. I use less than 17 grs. Could that be the reason or is it the temps? I rarely hunt in much less than 20 dergees but have shot in 6 degrees without an issue.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm the same as Mike C. only I use 19.5 grains in a Nitro hull, Win 209, Green Duster. Never had a problem with the cold here in northern Indiana, but I don't leave them in the truck overnight. The last 10 shells I chronoed had a S.D. of 8.9 fps. The factory AA's were 21 fps. Shoot well,

Wayne

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

What Mike Campbell said: a F209A primer makes a lot of difference in performance, by any measure.

GD is a pretty dirty powder, period & end-of-story; clean your gun once a year whether it needs it or not.

Bob

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Try 17 gr Clays. Perfect and soft and in any weather. Very clean.

13. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

I use 17.5 grs of Promo with a Claybuster TGT replacement wad with a Federal or a F616 Primer and it just works great from 16- handicap yards.

Terry

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

It will work but GD would not be my choice for 1 oz loads.

Promo is less costly and you will use less to get the same performance. I use Promo for all light target 12 ga loads.

It will have no impact of recoil.

Don Verna

15. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Ditto Don Verna, there is really no reason to use GD in one-ounce loads, due to cost, possible low pressures, etc. I use GD in 1.125 oz handicap loads at about 1240, burns very clean and consistent. My cost for Promo about $82.00 and Green Dot about $105, and you will use more GD per load.

JMO

Larry

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hey Hap,
    What color is that horse?.....Just wondering

D.P.Reynolds

17. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Ed says green dot is the best for handicap.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

DPR, thet horse be the same color as road apples? :)

Hap

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using GD for years in a one ounce load. 20.3 grains of GD in a AA hull Cheddite primer and Claybuster wad. It will smoke anything from the 16 to the 27.

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

This is my favorite one ounce load:

1,300 Win 209 Green Dot WAA12SL, 21.5 9,500

Or this one for 1 1/8 oz loads 1 1/8 1,250 Win 209 Green Dot WAA12 21.5 10,500

Either of these are clean burning and will smoke em way out there especially with 7 1/2's. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.