1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz. For Handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tweintraub, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

Hello..got a question for the experts on the forum. I'm relatively new to trap shooting but I have been reloading for years. I shoot 1oz. for singles. Need your opinion on whether 1oz is suitable beyond say 20 yards. I would appreciate your advice here. I'm still shooting from the 20 yard line in registered shoots. I am shooting in a winter trap league where I have been shooting from the 24 yard line. It's a whole new world from there. Not sure a 1 oz load is suitable. Thanks for your advice. Cheers T.I.

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

You will get a ton of guys telling you about there success with 7/8's ounce and 1 ounce. But the reality is the guys who shoot good handicap are using a quality shell 1 1/8 ounce.

Giid luck

Shawn

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

"Suitable" is very subjective. Will 1 oz work from 20+ yards? Absolutely. In FITASC we are regulated to 1 oz and I've broken some seriously long birds. However, you are handicapping yourself a bit. All things being equal (fps, recoil, pattern) I'd say shot as many pellets as you legally can.

4. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I would shoot 1 1/8-ounce loads from the 23-yard line and back.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why take anyone else's word for which load works best for you? Try both and you'll have first hand knowledge yourself without others influence. I've shot 1 ounce loads from the 27 and my scores didn't suffer at all. If I can break 25s from the 27, how good might they be at the 23-24? One ounce loads do lose steam though compared to full 1-1/8 ounce loads, but it isn't at the 27 yard line.

Hap

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nobody on here braggin' about great scores with 1 oz from the fence.

Ever wonder why?

Just sayn'

7. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

For the last 3 weeks in league I've been shooting 7/8 in a 1 1/8 cup (Fig8) from the 25ish. Certainly makes you concentrate!!!! Pretty respectable scores too. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm hoping it'll pay off come "ATA season" when I get back to 1 1/8. Alot of this game is mental, right?

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Broke a 96 from the 23 with 1 oz at the NC Homegrounds with a Gas Gun. Red Dot load.....

FRedmon

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

My reality is that I shoot 7/8 oz of 7 1/2's for everything. The reason I don't brag about it is that 24's and straights from the back fence need no explanation. But, like the man said, first hand experience trumps everyone else's opinion.

10. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

The only reason to shoot 1 1/8 is because its illegal to shoot an 1 1/4.... Throw all you have at em.

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I would use all the pellets you legally can.

The worst feeling you could have is shooting 99 at the grand using 1 oz loads and wondering forever if you were using 1 1/8 would you have broken that 100th?

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Good way to get a reduction is 1 oz from 27....

13. MrDill

MrDill TS Member

I shot our winter trap league with 1 oz I did a little better than I had all year.I've already loaded 2 flats of 7/8 of 8s for the spring league. For league shooting I don't mind giving myself the extra handicap,just there to have fun.
    Dill

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Under the right circumstances - "warm weather", near zero humidity, zero wind, nice brittle targets, 3 dram loads with hard shot, the correct choke for that load/yardage - 1 ounce loads can be surprisingly effective. Unfortunately those days don't come alone often enough, or maybe ever, if you have my luck.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with ya scootermac50, great answer.

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

tweintraub : If you like them at the 20yd line the 24yd line is only twelve feet. Picture in your head what the difference twelve feet would matter to a shot pattern moving probably 1100 fps. If I dare be so bold I would suggest not much if at all. 30yd yes, (I thought I would get used to speaking of the 30 yd line.)

CM

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've broken a few 25's from the fence with 1oz. AA Handicap loads. I can't say my scores were better or worse with 1 1/8oz.-I still stink. That said, I think 1 oz. should be very effective from the 20. Make sure you use full choke and remember-Leo is still gonna beat you!!

18. BigM-Perazzi

Claymuncher, my patterns say your wrong....

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

HOw many laughing at 1oz loads shoot 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's?

One ounce of 8's has more pellets and will break any ATA trap target.

20. BigM-Perazzi

HAHAHAHA....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.