1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz. for both in doubles??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by valmet, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

hi folks, how many out there use 1oz. for both shots in doubles? as of now i use 1oz. for the 1st. shot for dubs and lite 1 1/8 for 2nd. experiences??? thanks, dennis.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suggest a light one oz load for the first shot and the load used for singles for the second shot. If one prefers to shoot singles with 1 oz, then the same load would be appropriate for the second shot in doubles.

If you shoot the second doubles bird so slow that you need a load heavier than the one used for singles, you do not need to think about the best load for the second bird. You need to think about changing the way you shoot the second bird.

Pat Ireland

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

7/8 oz for the first shot and 1 oz for the second shot!! It's all in your head!!PLUS WITH COMPONENTS PRICED AS HIGH AS THEY ARE,If you do your part these loads will do the job.PJ

4. BMC

BMC Member

1 oz for both here too. Same 1 oz load I use for singles and caps too. Saves all the belly aching about thinking I have special shells for some type of shooting. One shell for everthing, even hunting.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I use 7/8 oz of 9s for the first shot (and singles) and 1 oz of 8s for 2nd (and handicap). If I ever give up loading two loads, it would be some sort of 1 oz of 8s for both; actually for all events.....Bob Dodd

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm with poacherjoe and BDodd on this one. 7/8 oz of (8,8.5,9) going about 1225 fps for the first shot and 1 oz 8's going about the same makes for a good, light recoiling load. The smoother you can get with your first shot will help out getting to the second shot.

ec90t

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Poacherjoe, Bob Dodd, and ec90t are 'right on'... Not 'caving in' to high lead prices, I am trying 3/4 oz. #9 for first shot and 7/8 of #8 for second. So far it is working. Best Regards, Ed

8. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

I have been using 7/8 oz. in both targets and my averages have went up in the last 2/3 months. The load is less recoil and speed is faster. I use #8 shot because that is what I have without buying more shot. I use windjammer 1oz wad, cheddite primer, and clays powder #33 bushing in a mec reloader hydl. Will need to load more before going to MO Fall Handicap.
    It works great!!

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I use 1 oz loads for doubles (for everything actually). I used to use a light/slightly heavier mix for doubles. I got tired of having to think about my shells, now I use all the same. Works great for me. YMMV.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Jerry,

You didn't learn that from Veldon did you? Lol. We all know he can't shoot doubles. He he he.

ec90t

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Win. AA-1oz 8's for everything....my shoulder doesn't need the abuse from anything stronger...

12. coho

coho Member

I use the same 1 ounce loads for everything, singles, handicap, doubles and games.

13. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

thanks for all the good tips and ideas. dennis

14. prairiewind

prairiewind TS Member

I love doubles! One ounce on the first shot and 1 1/8 on the second works well for me.

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Fla',

Now that's funny!

ec90t

16. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

1 1\8 of #8 at 1150fps for both. IM first, full second. The big ball of soot from the first target helps give me confidence for the second.

YMMV

Len in PHoenix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.