1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1oz @ 1200 fps vs 1 1/8oz @ 1100 fps?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

All things being equal, which would be the better choice? Did some calculations and the recoil appears to be very comparable. I'm not concerned about the cost savings of 1oz, and i'd rather put more shot in the air, but I don't know if the 100fps velocity loss would be that big of a deal...

2. Gizmo110

Gizmo110 TS Member

The more pellets the better is usually the rule I load by. Also, the slightly slower speed will give you a tighter pattern, 100fps is not going to make that big of a difference. However, the best way to check it out is to pattern each round and see what gives you the best pattern at the distance you want. Good luck. Shoot straight.

3. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I agree with Gizmo, I've never missed a bird from using to much shot!
    Dick C.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Has anyone missed a bird by shooting 3 inches behind it??????????????? I suppose not!!!!!!!!!!!!! This question you need to find out for yourself, I think??? I lean toward the one oz. load. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ian Go to 1oz @ 1145 and never look back. The lead distance difference at 40 yards is less than 2 inches and the recoil is minimal. When you do your part the birds turn into nice soot balls even from the 27 yard line and if you feel under gunned you can do 1 1/8 @ 1145 for 24 yards and beyond. When I miss a target not even a 2oz load would have helped and I suspect that is true of most folks.

--- Chip King ---

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I use both of the loads in question & there isn't much difference between the two recoil wise. Lately I've been using the 1100 FPS. 1 1/8 oz. load but it really doesn't matter........both are all you need. What you don't need IMHO is some 1290 fps. 1 1/8 oz load. Unless you really love recoil.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

EE- Certainly the shot traveling at a slower speed will have less energy per shot, but the energy they do have is much greater than required to break a target. Any energy above what is required to break a target is retained in the shot as it travels past the target.

Also remember that #8 shot leaving the barrel at 1145 ft/sec slows down to 640 ft/sec at 40 yards. Shot leaving the barrel at 1240 ft/sec slows down to 690 ft/sec. The target has slowed down to about 51 feet per second when it is hit.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Didn't we all just go through this??? Don't you have anything new to talk about??

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100fps vs 1300fps missed target