1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1999 Geo Tracker

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I know this is way off track but there are so many good people of different skills on here maybe someone can help me. My son has a 1999 Geo Tracker 4x4 with the 2.0 4 cylinder and automatic with about 200,000 but he bought it new and it looks great, he's on the road a lot and has taken good care of it.

He had an oil leak at the back of the engine coming out around the bell housing, a steady drip drip. I helped him check it and all the oil was coming out from inside the bell housing so we figured rear main seal. I've put a few of them in myself back in my youth but mostly Ford and Chevy v8's and a few 6's.

Anyway we tackled it, was a pretty good chore the worse being the tight as hell bell housing bolts. Once we got the flywheel off it was obvious the seal and all around it was real oily with fresh oil. So we got a new seal set and greased it up and put it in carefully like we always have jobs like this.

Well we start it up and it's leaking exactly like before, there is no oil above the bell housing it's all inside it. I guess we could have botched the job but I can't see how we were carefull and greased the seal up good so it wouldn't burn on the start up. Found a drawing of the engine and found a oil gallery plug above the rear main seal a good bit. We didn't notice it or any oil around it when we had it apart but it had slung oil around pretty good.

Does anyone have experience with these engines who could give us some idea before we have to tear back into it? Much appreciated.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used rope rear main seals in race engines, they never leaked ... They were a bear to put in and a bear to remove but they never leaked ... They looked like a rope soaked in oil ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Wpt,
    Those were the two piece seals,this motor has a one piece round seal .

Sandy Holehouse.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You might want to check for something causeing crankcase pressure to build forcing the oil out...PVC valve,...a hose or oil passage blockage..a breather check valve...what does it do when idling with the oil fill cap off..is it puffing oily smoke out and attempt to blow your hand off if you cover it tight?...then it could be blow-by or a head gasket..none of it good..time to pony up for a reman motor I would think

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Cal ,good point.Blowbuy can be a problem with oil leaks for sure.Excessive crankcase pressure.!!!!.Your right ,run the engine with filler cap off and Pvc disconnected and ck for excessive blowbuy. . !!!!!..

Sandy Holehouse.

6. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

check the crank for a thin groove where the old seal once made contact. A lot of times the old seals harden over time and cut a groove in the crank surface and a new seal generaly will get cut up or worn very quickly by this. To correct this you can take the crank to a machinist and either have the groove filled and then reground or sometime reground and a new oversized seal to use from this point on. I know that over sized were available for popular engines such as 350 V8 GM and others but I suspect not for a Geo. With the mileage your son has on this engine I would almost bet this is what is going on. Good luck and I hope this helps.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Your engine is worn out. They don't last forever.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Found it, pulled the motor out this time and found a oil gallery plug located above the rear main seal boss loose. This is not made like the older engines that use a pipe plug or self sealing this thing is more like a oil pan plug with a seal. It was loose enough to unscrew it with your fingers.

Tron you are a Ford Motor Co. troll, this thing is far from worn out unlike the throw away junk you work on. Suzuki builds a fine machine for GM.

WPT, a rope seal? YOu must be joking, those were the worst thing ever, don't think you will see one on any modern engines unless you think a Y block Tron motor is modern. Maybe on your old Hemi? Be sure and stagger the gaps if so, takes some skill maybe someone can help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.