1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1998 Ford F-150 Spare Tire Storage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 truck. I recently found that the spare tire and the bracket and cable that held the tire was totally gone from underneath the truck. I thought someone had stolen the whole mount in order to get the tire. I got a local repair shop to replace the mount. They said in talking with a parts person at the local Ford Dealership that the cable mounting system for spare tires under F-150's is very poorly designed and they regularly have to replace the mounting systems under them. They also stated that these mounting systems can and do drop on the road. Has anyone had this happen and is there any way to keep this from happening (besides not carrying a spare tire under the truck)? I am more worried about the accident that could happen behind me if the tire and mount drop on the road. Thanks.

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

weld the new one up,,,,if done by a good welder he will know where it needs to be reinforced,,,,than cover it inside and out with anti sieze,,or rust preventive spray

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yep, that's all true. It's amazing that our government hasn't forced Ford to do a recall because this is potentially VERY dangerous, I've seen it a lot. This was caused by Ford beating up their supplier so badly that they ended up with a super poor quality component (let's not forget poor Firestone). You would be amazed at some of the incredibly poor quality of components that were (still are) put on Ford vehicles. Man, I've got some stories for you! Profit is job 1, then keeping the Ford family fat and healthy, then over paying some Jackass CEO 34 million dollars a year (plus bonuses). Quality is way down near the bottom of the list, make no mistake.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Fords quality can't be too far down. I still have a 1994 explorer with 282,000 on it no work on the drive train. Throttle positioner and mass air sensor were replaced along with shocks and balljoints. People claim the Explorer ate front rotors, but I only replaced them 1 time. Same exhaust system. My son has a 2001 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed with 308,000 miles on it, largest bill was a timing belt and water pump. I also have a 2003 Explorer with 76,000 miles and the only repair was a windshield wiper motor which Ford paid for. The company I retired from supplied all the body panels for the Econoline since it was launched along with the Explorer. I can only say that quality was not lacking from the early 90's until 2003 when I retired. I am speaking about sheet metal now. As far as the Firestone tires, I went thru 3 sets of them and never had one problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.