1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1978 KL250A Project

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sebastian2396, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I joined this forum because I stumbled across joe kuhn and his son's KL250 project. I have done trap shooting and probably will get into it at some point in my life so I just got a jump start on joining here. I do own 7 guns currently all for target shooting and defense nothing crazy or incredibly interesting with what I have. Anyways back to the first topic of discussion. I wanted to post this on the this forum due to the complete lack of information regarding these motorcycles. I was hoping that if I ran into anything that has been done by joe kuhn he would be able to assist me in some way, and if I have to do something that he hasn't done then maybe my postings will help him out in the future. Currently I have the bike stripped to clean and rebuild the carburetor, petcock, and fuel tank, and I am waiting on my carburetor and petcock rebuild kit to progress. The background information on the bike is that it is a no starter but it was ran in the last 2 years, the relatively clean float bowl can vouch for that, and the engine is not locked and seems to make good compression. I paid $571 for the bike after title transfer fees. This is my first motorcycle project that I am taking on myself, as my 1982 CB750C is not a very forgiving bike to learn to do work on. I probably will have some assistance from friends who know more than me, but I have not had assistance so far. Other than that it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to get it running, as everything is all there. I will attach photos of what I have done thus far. Hopefully joe kuhn will see this and pitch in some thoughts. Please excuse the snapchat picture, it bothers me when I see posts with them because the image quality isn't as good, but it's all I have of the mostly disassembled bike.

Thanks for reading,
    Sebastian

20170107_142147.jpg 20170107_142159.jpg 20170107_142204.jpg 20170109_170116.jpg Screenshot_20170110-021037.png

RayReys thanked this.
  2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

Has it got spark?

3. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I got a new plug for it but left the old fouled one in for some reason when I tested it, I realized that I think I left the key off, and I wasn't kicking it I was manually rotating it with my hand. It should spark I just need to change those things, and if it doesn't I've been informed that's a relatively easy task to correct.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Hurry up and get yours running

I can see a race with you and Joe's Son coming

DGH

5. joe kuhn

Gotta have spark.

6. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I will get it to spark within a week or so I just have to find a little bit of time.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You need three things - fuel, air, and spark.

You are on your way with fuel (as I recall the Kawasaki carbs were a pain to adjust - could be wrong, that is a long time ago).

Spark - tends to be a 'yes' - 'no' thing - if 'no' there are only so many things it can be (magneto, points, condenser, wires). That being said the electrical aspects of the entire bike pushing 40 years old - that might need attention (ask Joe about that one).

Air is primarily a function of the carb, but also of the compression of the engine. You say there is 'compression' - but how much?? A compression gauge can help, but recently they make tiny USB cameras for next to nothing and you can inspect the cylinder through the spark plug hole for under 20 bucks - good money spent, I think.

So, what gauge is this motorcycle??:1a:

8. joe kuhn

Btw, nice bike. Heh. Our motor wouldn't even turn over when we got it. Magnito was all corroded up. A year later we discovered the previous owner had sealed up an oil passageway to the top end. That wore a cam lobe down flat. It's running again. The last thing we have to do is get the electrical system to charge the battery. These bikes will run without a battery because the spark cimes from the magnito. Lights etc use the battery.

9. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

More backstory, I appreciate all of the responses I have gotten but I do have a very firm grasp on how engines function it's more about just how to fix the engine and the rest of the bike around it. I believe I am up to speed on your bike as well Joe it looked like quite the project and I'm hoping that mine doesn't need quite as much as your's haha. You did only have two threads on your bike if I'm not mistaken?

10. joe kuhn

Yes. As I recall. Good luck and keep us informed.

11. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I hope to have it running, probably poorly, but running within a month.

12. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

So I can't see any spark and some kicking of the engine led to a little bit of oil coming from the head gasket... lucky me :sillydummies: 20170110_170421.jpg

13. joe kuhn

What is your next step?

14. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I'm going to rebuild the carb and the petcock and replace the fuel line from the tank to the carb and add an in-line fuel filter. I talked to the previous owner, he said the points were in good shape when he had it running before, so that'll be the last place I check. He did say that a different owner did some pretty garbage wiring, which is easy to see, so he thinks a connection came loose around the key tumbler or the ignition coil and recommended that I clean the contacts and reconnect it all. As for the head gasket,
    it will run poorly but I will replace the head gasket after I know it runs for sure.

15. redcorn

redcorn Member

pull magneto sandpaper contacts to get spark.
    don't worry about little oil leak.
    soak and clean all jets in carb.

16. joe kuhn

Maybe the head bolts are just loose.

17. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

I will check that do you by chance know the torque specs for the head bolts? And to respond to redcorn I believe it's a bit more than a little oil, I only kicked it 10 or 15 times and had it dripping off of the cooling fins so imagine if it was actually running haha. The stator will be the last part of the electrical system that I check because it is only needed to charge the battery, run lights, and other auxiliary items.

18. joe kuhn

Probably in my old threads for head bolt torque.

19. Sebastian2396

Sebastian2396 TS Member

Can't find the torque specs in any of your threads... I'm really going to need a repair manual of some sort before I get into rebuilding. Also a suggestion for your bike, you can take a razor and scrape the top of the faded plastic off and then go over the whole fender in a circular motion with a heat gun. It'll melt the surface a bit and make it a little more glossy. I'm going to do it when I have some time to burn as well.

20. joe kuhn

Good idea. Will tell Johnny. Will look up the torque specs in our manual tonight. You're right. The shop manual is a must.