1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1976 Perazzi TM1 Reborn

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rodney1966, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney1966

Rodney1966 TS Supporters TS Supporters

1976 Perazzi tm1 Reborn

I bought this Perazzi tm1 in an auction about two months ago for $1,000 it was advertised as being in great condition and fully functional with no mechanical issues. When I received it, I had a very loose gun without ejector springs and plungers, they had been completely removed, the lever was past center, and to the left. I called the place that had it for auction let them know that their advertising and gun testing method may need some tweaking, to my surprise he agreed, and offered me $200.00 back. The wood was mismatched with a walnut forearm and the traditional plain Perazzi stock, I knew this when I bid so it wasn’t a problem. It also had one GEN 1 extra full choke, the metal was in good condition with just a few handling marks. All considered I think I received a good gun at a fair price, and am very happy with the purchase.

My first call was to Jim (Whiz) White S&W Supply for all replacement springs, plunger, and action locking block, I was surprised he had all in stock which he had to me in 2 days. I also downloaded all the schematics for the TM1 while on his website. I called and talked with Jim several times, asking questions and general chit chat. He always was very helpful and never seemed to mind, even with my lack of knowledge. My next gun build is coming soon Jim, I will be calling.

I was able to install the ejector springs and plungers myself, as this was my first work performed on a gun, except for cleaning. I will do more work in the future but am taking baby steps.

I called John Larrosso (gunsmith) here in Denver to fit the lock block, and install the springs. He did an incredible job as the gun now locks up tight, and the lever is nicely right of center. When I received the bill, I was very surprised at how little he charged and ended up giving him more, as I believe in taking care of those who do good work and take care of you. I will use John again on future projects. Great guy!

Then I started shopping for some wood that I liked, after searching for a week or two, I stumbled onto an ad on trapshooters.com from Smok’n Joe for a walnut stock, and I knew it was a close match to the forearm I already had, but couldn’t tell by the pictures how close it was. I bought it without question from Joe, and received it 3 or 4 days later. Although it’s not an exact match, it is as close as you can get without it being cut from the same tree. When I sent the pictures to Joe he replied I couldn’t have picked better myself, and I had a winner. Joe was great to work with, we have talked several times now, and I will defiantly look for Joe on future projects.

The gun was coming together, however I couldn’t shoot it the way it was so I started asking around for someone to do stock work, and had many different referrals however a lot more came for a gentleman nick named Griz Bear (Jim Bowman). Grizzly Bear is a fitting name as he is a bear of a man, and a great man to deal with. I gave him the TM on a Thursday, went over what I wanted and needed from the stock and left knowing it was going to be a totally different gun with a new adjustable recoil pad and comb installed when I returned. He called on the following Monday said it was ready for pick up. I was blown away by his workmanship and how quickly he was able to complete this project. If in the Denver area, and need stock work I would most defiantly recommend Griz for the job. You won’t find him on the web, so if you need anything I will be happy to provide you with his information.

I have shot the TM sense the work has been completed, but only 25 shots as the extra full choke and I don’t get along very well shooting a 21 on that occasion. I have found a number 4 and 6 on trapshooters.com and ordered them, and am waiting for delivery. I also have ordered 3 extended chokes 5, 6, 7 from Wrights who I believe is the only one still making GEN 1 chokes. These are on backorder and I should have them early October. Stu Wright is a great person to deal with, and I have purchased many chokes from him in the past.

Thanks for helping me build my Perazzi TM1:
    Jim (Whiz) White
    Joe (Smok’n Joe)
    John Larrosso
    Jim (Griz Bear) Bowman

Thanks to Trapshooters.com for making this site such a great place to hang out and meet great people.

Rodney Erkson
    Rodney1966

rodney1966_2012_1905215.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905216.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905217.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905218.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905219.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905220.jpg

rodney1966_2012_1905221.jpg

2. mkenney

mkenney TS Member

Very nice work. Enjoy it I also have a 1976 TM1 and once you get it dialed in, I want to say nothing feels or shoots better, but call me opinionated.

Mark

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Wow...it really came together perfect..you're right..would be so hard to tell the wood was not an original pair...you got a nice gun for a nice price..them TM1s are classics for sure and still one of the best on the field

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

It is simply a pleasure to work with you fellas... that's what makes this so fun.

Nice gun Rod... as I mentioned, I may have to go and pick up one of the TM's. It put me on the 27 in a little over a year, but then, like many shooters, I traded it up for another Perazzi - DUMB!

Whiz

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

That is goregeous! Cool thread - definitely solidifies the fact that I must have a TM1 of my own by next year.

6. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking gun you have there. With all the work done it should function great for many years. All the people involved did a great job. Pass along the contact info to me for the adjustable comb, please.

Duane

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice gun!! And you are so right about Whiz. He is a Gem....

8. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

Very nice just dont ever put that nice gun on that chair again.

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Beautiful job. People are begining to realize in this neck of the woods that those old Perazzis are excellent shooters. You don't see many advertised very long before they are snatched up. I found one something like yours. `Mine was mechanically sound but challenged in the cosmetics department. I brought the stocks back to life with about 20 coats of TruOil and had a local gunsmith replace a couple of springs and reblue her. I find the Perazzi is much lively and easier to handle than my XT. Of course I have to admit that I think an XT swings like a 2X8 anyhow. I just got the XT back from Rod's Custom Stocks. I had him put on an adjustable comb and an adjustable LOP Gracoil with a curved KickEase pad. He did a masterful job and fast (I should say sudden) turnaround. Any more stock work I have done will be done by him. I'm putting off writing a review of this job as I want people to know about his work. He is fantastic. I see you also give credit to Jim "Whiz" White, not a finer fellow on the planet. He was very helpful to me in my TM1 overhaul. Now I have a favor to ask of Rodney 1966 or anyone else that could help. Could one of you all kindly post a picture of them Gen 1 Perazzi Choke tubes. I'm having a fit getting what I want and I think my TM1 has those Gen 1 tubes but I want to be sure before I order from Wright's. Thanks to all, Mike....

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

That is a most beautiful gun. One that will cause heads to turn.

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

MDMike, go to the above thread. Steve W has pictures of the Perazzi choke tubes.

12. benschott

benschott Member

Rodney had this shotgun with him at the Buckley AFB range this morning. Photos do not come anywhere close to showing how fine this one came out. Going by the huge grin on his face, he knows he has a keeper. Rodney you lucky ......

Gary in CO

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The gun is sure a keeper, and Rodney is as well. What a swell guy!

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to unstall my own locking block in my perazzi

perazzi 1976

perazzi tm1 review

perazzi tm1history

rodney erkson and marcia donziger