1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1976 BT99, fires when action closed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Today a good friend was shooting today, his BT99 started shooting when close the action. I have heard that the wood can swell (very hot and humid last few days) causing problems like this. Any truth to it? I told him if he could wait I would check it out. I have 2 other guns with issues to check out 1st.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Pop the stock off and look at the hammer notch. Well, it's really not shaped like a notch, but more like a thin slot. I've seen on a few occassions a grain of sand will get caught in there. This prevents the sear from fully engaging.

Most likely it's just dirt.

Doug Braker

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my first thinking is always dirt, especially with older guns. I offered up to give it a look and clean it up. Today just to shut a guy up about his win 1400, took it down to the return spring a pulled the mage spring, he was amazed at how crudy it was? He cleaned it quit well in the back of his truck, no more problems.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

When mine did that some years ago it was a mixture of unburned Red Dot and original factory grease that had hardened on the sear. Was not uncommon back then. Pull stock and give it a good cleaning. Back then I did not pull buttstocks off very often. Saw my Dad do it to an L.C. Smith 20 ga. when I was a kid. Left a lasting impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.