1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1973 Grand American article from Sports Afield

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

A buddy of mine has been giving me some copies of Sports Afield from the 1970's. It is fun to read these because it shows that in our gun culture, somethings change and others don't. In the December issue, they had a nice article covering the results from the 1973 Grand American. I will post the article and hope that it is able to be read. One thing that I picked up on was the the winner of the GAH was a 23 year old man who shot a 99 from the 22.5 yard line. He won in a shoot off against another young man, both first timers at the Grand. The Preliminary Handicap was also won from the 20.5 yard line. He also had to shoot-off for the title. He only played the purse and won $800. The loser of the shoot off played all the options and won $5,000. I was born in 1973 so I don't know, but I am guessing that was big money.
    Doug Allison
    1973GAarticle1_zps908892b4.jpg

1973GAarticle2_zps6e7e30a0.jpg

1973GAarticle3_zps7655164e.jpg

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Interesting, interesting, interesting. This older stuff sure is worth the read, thank you. Scott

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was there when my friend John Comly won the 16 yard championship shoot off. His mom, dad, and brother are also really good shooters.

Ed Yanchok

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Doug. Very neat stuff.

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

Dennis Taylor is a long time Wisconsin Trap shooters Association director and is instrumental in the creation of the new WTA Homegrounds. A very nice guy who gives his time generously to the trap shooting.

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Today the $5,000 would be just less than $25,500!

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Interesting to see the names of Juniors and All Americans who continue to lead by example...

Jay

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I don't know if you noticed Doug, but the article was written by Jimmy Robinson who was a truly legendary hunting and shooting writer.

I met him once at Minneapolis Gun Club.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Susan Nattrass mentioned in the article shot our Spring Grand also last week. During the handicap championship event, she was only 2 targets away from the high score with her 93!! Won the ladies cat trophy by 8 targets or so! We had winds from 35 to 40 mph all day long and that lady can shoot!

Hap

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

1973 was my first time at the "Grand". I can't remember my scores, but they didn't scare anybody. I used a K32 for dbls and a Bt-99 for singles. When we got home I traded the BT in on a Mod 12. Larry Evans

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Francis Foster hailed from Spartanburg SC..... They lovingly called him "momma"....Sure miss him....

FRedmon

12. Quaint

Quaint Member

I hear Dennis Taylor is being inducted into WTA Hall of Fame this year. Congratulations, Denny.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I was there for the shootoff, too. My friend Mort Froy was one of the 20some 200 straights. Mort later died in a car crash driving home from the Illinois State Shoot.

I remember John was shooting a Browning O/U. It must have been wacking him pretty good because he had a patch on his cheek.

I see Tom Garrigus won the HOA and HAA for the industry shooters. Of course, his son Robert is now one of the top golfers on the PGA tour. Hard to believe it was 40 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The scary part of this story is where are all these former trapshooters today and when are they all coming back!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.