1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1973 Belmont Stakes, Do you remember that race?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    The 1973 Belmont is one race that I will never forget. To me and many other people, that was probably the greatest sporting event most have ever seen. I watched it sitting in a bar in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Do you remember that race, and where did you watch it?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

And to think that the ownership of Secretariat was decided on a coin flip before he was born. Penny Chenery and the owner of Secretariat's sire Bold Ruler, due to breeding agreements of three of Chenery's mares, agreed to flip for the pick of the ownership of the resulting two yearling foals and the unborn foal that would become Secretariat. The winner got their pick of one of the yearling foals or the unborn foal and the loser got the two remaining foals. Chenery lost the flip, Bold Ruler's owner picked the yearling filly and Chenery got the yearling colt and the unborn foal who was to be Secretariat. Bold Ruler's owner was looking for quality mares for his stable to carry on the Bold Ruler bloodline. And the rest is history.

3. senior smoke

Rick:
    Thanks for posting the race.
    Steve

DoubleAuto:
    Great info.
    Thanks,
    Steve

4. senior smoke

After seeing that race, I believed in Pegasus. To this day, I can not watch this race without tearing up. People who are not into horse racing may not understand what I am saying.

On another video a sports writer said this race was like Wilt's 100 point game, Tiger wood's at the Master's and Dan Larson's great win. We will probably never see any thing like that again.
    Steve

5. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thanks Rick

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I was in the infield on the back stretch when he won at Churchill Downs earlier that year. Absolutely unbelievable! I agree that we may never see his like again. Martinpicker

7. senior smoke

This may possibly be a record that may never be broken.
    Steve

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Being from Louisville, KY, I can say that Secretariat is a horse that was loved by almost everybody. His nickname was "Big Red" and he was a friendly and good natured horse. For a while, you could drive by the farm at which he was standing stud and see him. A story in a local newspaper reported that Secretariat attracted so much attention that some of the other stallions standing at stud became jealous of him and this impeded their performance of their stud duties. Secretariat was them relocated away from public access.

Secretariat was owned by Penny Chenery, trained by Lucien Laurin and ridden by Canadian jockey Ron Turcotte in his Triple Crown victories.

Walt Disney made a movie about Penny Chenery and Secretariat a few years ago that is well worth watching.

Secretariat lived 19 years and, when he died, an autopsy found that his heart was approximately two and one half times (an estimated 22 pounds) the size as what would be expected for a horse his size. Secretariat died of a painful, incurable hoof disease.

Ed Ward

9. senior smoke

Ed:
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

NEAT !! If it was a fight, they'da stopped it!

11. senior smoke

Joe:
    That's a good one and true.
    Steve

12. GBR

GBR Member

Secretariat was probably the greatest race horse of all time. The Belmont was a fabulous race. I remember watching that race while at a local golf course grill room. I attended the Preakness Stakes that year and saw him run. When he came out to the infield to be saddled he held his head so high like he new he was the "king". I just watched in aw while he circled the field on the first turn and came out of turn two ahead and on to the finish. I also understand he knocked a tooth out coming out of the gate at the K-Derby and went on to win. Don't forget Sham. He was a great horse as well. Too bad he came along the same year as Secretariat. Do you remember who beat Secretariat at the Travers Stakes in August of that year?

13. senior smoke

No I don't, tell us?
    Steve

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

A virus beat Secretariat in the 1973 Travers Stakes. Secretariat was sick and pulled from the Travers. His jockey Ron Turcotte then rode Annilate'em to victory in the Travers. Secretariat was also sick in the Whitney Cup where he was beaten by Onion. He later beat both of these horses plus his stablemate Riva Ridge in the first Marlboro Cup.

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

That's a fun discussion. About twenty five years ago a Vet Doctor at the U of I campus was doing a little doctoring on my pulled hamstrings and I noticed a nice photo on his desk and when he asked me if I knew who the horse was I was amazed to see Doc as I called him standing with another gentleman and looking over a lead held grazing horse. Doc's three or four year old daughter was sitting on the horse and as you have now guessed it was Secretariat. Doc Manning was his personal doctor and when they needed him looked at they would fly Doc down to Kentucky and he would examine Big Red. I asked what It was that killed the horse and the incurable hoof disease was foundered. A new groom had been hired as I understood "the night shift guard" and was told how they fed Secretariat and how much, all they didn't tell him was that he only ate in the daytime. The new night groom was feeding him all that rich meal on his shift also. It foundered the horse and he had to be put down.

Doctor Manning has since passed but he was Secretariats personal doctor. He taught surgery to Vet Med students at the U of I Vet school and was considered one of the worlds best for horses in his day. He invented an eye surgery for horses that is still called the Manning Technique. I think of that great horse whenever I see a race that is dominated by the winner. What a runner he was.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

He was a Prince. But, the King it's said, was "Man Of War." Who, I believe was one of Secretarat's Great Grand daddies.

17. James344

James344 Active Member

Not sure who put that video together but the music was beautiful. Really went with the race. I wasn't born until December of '73, but I've spent some time watching videos of his races, and he was absolutely awesome. I've always enjoyed the triple crown races. Those horses are beautiful animals.

18. senior smoke

shot410ga.
    Man of War was a great horse, but not as good as Secretarat. The winning times will prove it.

I watched every video on this race and listened to every reporter that covered horse racing. One reporter said that he was about the only thing in our country that was honest at that time, without mentioning Nixon and Agnew.

The country needed a hero and he was it. I purchased a picture of his jockey looking back at the field during this race. I have it framed in my gun room.
    Steve

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

From Secretariat website.....

""Secretariat set a world record of 1:24.00 for 1 1/2 miles in the Belmont Stakes, which has yet to be eclipsed. This works out to a speed of 37.5 mph for his entire race.

Secretariat also set a track and stakes record in the Kentucky Derby of 1:59 2/5. Secretariat ran each quarter-mile segment faster than the one before it. The successive quarter-mile times were 25 1/5, 24, 23 4/5, 23 2/5, and 23. This means he was still accelerating as of the final quarter-mile of the race and down the stretch Secretariat was running 49 mph.""

20. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

That is one great movie..Even my grade school kids liked it!

GL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.