1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1970 Broadway Browning 32" Trap for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by tcr1146, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

After some research was done, I am relisting my friend's Browning Broadway. It is a 32" o/u choked full/imp mod with no modifications to the barrels, built in 1970. This is not, I repeat, this is not a salt gun! Gun would rate 97+% condition. This gun still has the original Browning recoil pad. There is no box, manual, or case. However, my friend bought this gun new and is the original owner. Will email pics to serious inquiries. Selling price is $1150 shipped. Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. mlml1944

mlml1944 Member

0   0   0

1970 Broadway Browning 32

Please, send me some pictures and a ph# email address. THANKS

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Tom. If you allow mw to prove salt or no salt, I'll buy the gun if "no salt" is proven.

Eh? I will split the shipping to a proving point.

Better yet, send me pics and I'l decide if it is no salt

Jack

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

$1150, What???? Jack, that is crime!

5. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0

Jack i sent you a PM
    Thank you

6. JACK

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Gary. I did not get the PM. Send again

But Here is my take on this gun/situation.

Originally this was said to be a '72 gun. Most (MOST) salt guns were over by the time of '72 issue. I just bought the '72 that WS-1 had for sale. I'm relatively confident that the WS-1 gun is into the new group of good wood. Browning had from '67 to '71 to figure it out and for the most part did.

'70 could be an entirely different story however. This '70 gun fell into the "salt era". Do I want a "salt gun"? No. And I will not buy it unless it is proven by an independent source that it has non salt cured wood. Midwest can do that, others too. tcr1146 has to understand that he may have an exceptional lightly fired gun, but if it proves to be a salt gun, the value is very low. Lower than the $1150. I'll pay what the gun is worth as a used Broadway in excellent condition with written proof that the wood is not salt. Midwest will verify that for a fee. I assume the tcr1146 seller (tom is selling the gun for a friend) will be wiling to submit his gun to that test. If not... Well this post will further complicate the sale of this gun.

Tom Rhoads, it is time to get off the pot on this gun. Saying it is "not salt" will not cut it. It has to be proven. A '70 gun could easily be a "salt gun".

Jack

My email is above. Tom Rhoads is a good friend of mine and of the forum. Send me the pics and I'll contribute what I know (or think valid) to this gun sale.

7. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Is the gun available? Please send pics. Thanks, Joe

8. Gary Ferrell

Gary Ferrell Member

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0

Tom i sent you a P.M.
    Thank you

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Salt guns are no fun....I lost $950 cash buying and then selling what originally appeared to be a nice, unfired Superposed - supposedly salt free. I also had a 20 ga. Pigeon grade from the salt era that had apparently had the factory replaced salt wood but the damage was done. It is EXTREMELY important to verify absolutely that a Superposed from that era is salt free...no fun having damaged merchandise. Watch the salt video and write-up on Arts Gun Repair site. Best Regards, Ed

10. 1964_Superposed

1964_Superposed TS Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

tcr1146

I am the fortunate original owner of a 1963 Superposed, 30" Full over Full Broadway Lightning. As the original owner registered with Browning, if it had salt wood and/or salt wood damage, Browning told me they would honor the lifetime warranty and do the repairs. Fortunately I do not have salt wood, nor have needed any repairs, so I can not say from experience that Browning would do it or not, just suggesting that since your friend is the original owner, he is entitled to warranty.

P.S. The gun was purchased in 1964, and until I contacted Browning, thought it was a 1964, hence my name is 1964_Superposed. My dad registered it in my name, seems infants could own really nice Trap guns in 1964.

BR/Tim

11. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Jack,

What are you going to do with all of those Broads. LOL

I liked that RK the most. That was a beaut. Jon

12. JACK

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Jon. Only own two. the one you like is the one I will probably shoot. the last one I bought is one I want to experiment with pull triggers again. Some smart guy on the forum said the way to reorient your trigger finger coordination to pull (from release) is to shoot a bunch of station 8 skeet doubles targets. That really rang potentially true and I am going to try it. And the 32" has better feel than the lighter 30". It is a big "We'll see"

I kinda doubt I will own Tom's gun here. I'm into "calculated risk"... Not risk.

This is the gun you like
    mia_2008_0303294.jpg

I intend on using the above gun for some station 8 practice too as it is a release/pull and I have never shot R/P

Glad you asked.

13. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Yep, that's the one. Sweeeet.

I prefer 32's also.

It is a shame that such a fantastic gun had the blemish of the salt wood era. Like you said you never know what you are getting until you take it apart, or give it a closer look for yourself. Then again some of them have had the wood changed, so who knows. Jon

14. MBT-99D

MBT-99D TS Member

0   0   0

Call me young or ignorant what ever you'd like but can someone explain to me what this salt wood problem is that i keep reading about?

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

0   0   0

This is a very legitimate question. Go to the internet and open: http://www.artsgunshop.com/ They have a great video and lots of info re: "salt" gun problems. Basically, beginning in about the mid 1960s and until mid 1970s, Browning bought and used a lot of wood for their gun stocks which had been hastily dried (cured) using a salt process which dried the wood, but impregnated it with salt. When the salt wood was made into gun stocks and put on Browning guns, the salt caused VERY SEVERE rusting problems. Worse, most of the salt wood was high grade and used on some of the highest grade Browning guns. Art's website tells it all. Be very wary of salt guns...I got burned badly ($ wise). Best Regards, Ed

16. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

0   0   0

Through some ill-fated decision or other Browning got their hands on a process for curing walnut that involved salts, not necessarily sodium chloride. Problem is that any of the common things you might find around if present in wood in trace amounts can cause all kinds of unseen corrosion problems. Not good. I owned several Superposed guns from that period and had one Pigeon Grade 20 ga that was definitely salt. Sent it back to Browning and they quickly restored the gun to new and replaced the wood, no cost. Of course that was in about 1984.

Let's just say if any Browning is even suspected of being a salt-cured wood gun do what Jack said above: get it tested and certified by somebody who knows what they are doing or you could be buying big trouble.

The big difficulty with guns from about 1967-1972 is that you might have a good one, and you might not. Crap shoot.

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

0   0   0

Tom I will take it if it as you say, (and I have no reason to believe it isn't)

18. JACK

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Tom is on "Hiatus"

19. weagle

weagle Member

0   0   0

If it's not rusted by now ( 42 years ) probably good to go don't yall think. I don't care if the stock was soaked in the dead sea. If it ain't rusting who cares. Heck of a buy on this one.

20. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Sorry guys, I had to pick up some pocket change playing hold em at local site! They are nice to me! By the way, a guy is going to meet and look at the gun and buy it if he is half as smart as I think he is for this price! If not, I will go in order of the guys that contacted me! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1970 browning broadway superposed value

browning broadway 32 for sale

browning broadway trap for sale

browning superposed 1970 broadway trap value