1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1966 Browning Double Auto trap info needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I just bought a 1966 Browning Double Auto trap gun from Great Lakes Sporting Arms in MI. It is used but still has the original box. As I was not around in 1966 :), I need some help with the sights. The end label is marked "trap stock" and also "Hood sight". It indeed has a higher combed trap stock but the sights have me confused. The first bead is only about 8" from the receiver on the 29.5" bbl. On the muzzle is what I think is an Ithaca ray bar sight. Has anyone heard of a "Hood sight"? I have looked at many trap guns over the last few years and have never seen a "rear" bead.

Doug Allison

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Front sight
    Doug

3. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Box label markings.
    Doug

4. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

The only difference between a trap Double Auto and the field was a high comb stock and a center bead. They had either a buttplate or Browning marked pad. Your gun has either an Ithaca Raybar sight or a Simmons Glow Worm sight at the muzzle and there was NEVER a factory sight installed 8 inches from the receiver. Unless you got a deal on the gun or you just gotta have it--I'd think about returning it for a refund! Penciled in markings on an end label were certainly not done by the factory! PS--these are great field guns--but shooting trap will loosen your fillings!!

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'll bet the gun was being held for Mr. or Mrs. Hood. Maybe the GloWorm replaced the Bradley by the smithy.

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Mr Roach, I had the same thought. I would not have bought it if I didn't think I got a good price. Thank you for the input. I hope it sits in my safe for another 50 years and the next generation can ask the same questions.
    Doug Allison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.