1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1960 and 1970-era Shells tested. New test!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks to the generosity of oleolliedawg who not only parted with two boxes of "Collectors'" shells but even paid the freight to get them to me, we have a chance to revisit those thrilling days of yesteryear and see what was on the gun club shelves in the early 1970's.

There will be three phases to the tests and so three phases to the quiz which all you old timers should participate in: Shot speed, shot hardness, pattern percentage. The patterning will have to wait until it warms up, but we can do the rest this week.

Shell type 1. Western Xpert Mark 5 three-dram eights with the patented shot collar visible in the second photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shell Type 2. AA Western Handicap Trap, also three-dram but 7 1/2 shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many readers here remember these shells and we have all heard about them. The quiz is, how accurately do you remember their performance, or how accurate were the stories you were told?

The Quiz:

Question 1. How fast were they?

Question 2. Did they have hard shot in them, or soft shot, or something in between?

Question 3. Once we have a chance to pattern them, how will they stack up against AA shells of today going the same speed?

No prize for this quiz, just bragging rights and a chance to reminisce in print about the old days. I hope you will all take part.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

© 2013 NMW

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Interesting how much the powder in #1 looks like Titegroup.

Neil can you weigh the shot and powder charges as well?

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Both 1200 fps and chilled shot on the first and magnum shot on the second? My guess, and I remember shooting both. I may still have a few shells around. I know I still have the boxes.

4. Neil Winston

I'll be posting the answers at the end of the week; thanks for the early entries!

Neil

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

EDIT: OK, in the interest of science I'll delete that.

My guess will be: speed range of 1190 - 1230, shot: in between; will pattern worse then current using modern analysis, but probably look about the same to the eye.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'm thinking those black AA's are 1260 fps.

The papers 1210.

7. Kolar233

Kolar233 TS Member

AA's were at 1280 and Mark 5's were 1225

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mark 5's

1190fps

1.0% antimony

67%

Handicaps

1280 fps

3%

65%

I presume your using a full choke. Also my answers are by a 3.5 decade ago memory. I didn't test ones I have and I have no idea where my notes from those years are. But one thing I do remember as clear as yesterday, those "Handicaps" recoiled like first run silver bullets! And I was a big boy!

9. pfofml

pfofml Member

The Mark 5's velocity is very near 1200 fps, with chilled shot, and will not pattern as well as modern ammo.
    The black AA's velocity will be 1235 fps, with hard shot, and will pattern as well as todays's ammo
    Peter

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

What happens if the Mark5's pattern just as well as modern ammo?

11. Neil Winston

I guess no one playing so far will win. But the game is only into the first period; there is plenty of time to predict that and I'm logging your prediction as "the same," Aaron. But we already do have at least one winner in the speed quiz though there are surprises there too.

Neil

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'll say you will not find much difference than we have now. In speed, hardness of shot and the patterns.

Ajax

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

1290 for the black AA's. 1200 for the XPerts. 65% patterns for the Xperts. 80% for the AA's!!

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Winchester Mark-5 with the shot wrapper (collar) in a paper hull was before 1965 and filled with chilled shot at about 1-3% antimony. (Those were Winchesters main shell till the advent of the AA wads in 1965. I'd guess the velocity was around 1215. I shot a lot of those Mark-5s for bird hunting with larger shot which worked well. I wasn't too impressed with them on long range clays though. I tried them in fun shoots.

The "Black Handicaps" weren't available till the early 70s and included AA wads with a little higher percent of antimony shot. The velocity on those things was about 1260-80 or so in my estimation as I never shot them over a chrono. The recoil was quite a bit more than the red AAs 3 dr. 1-1/8 oz. I did shoot a few boxes of the black handicap shells but they kicked too much to suit me!

Hap

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you going to test a felt wad with a backbored shotgun?

-Gary

16. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I'll guess around 1180 for the Xperts and 1210 for the AAs.

Can't guess the shot, but am thinking the patterns of the AAs are like today's shells. The Xperts may be a bit more open, but I even doubt there's much of a difference there, either.

One more thing, I'd bet the Xperts are closer to 1965 than the 70's.

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Neil, I started shooting league trap in 1961 at the St.Paul Rod & Gun Club and my first reloads were with Federal paper hulls Red Dot powder and Alcan Flitemax #4 wads. One time (around 1966) I saw Dan Orlich shoot at the St.Cloud Steer & Calf Shoot and he was using Federal Light 8's to our great surprise.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Note; those old AA's were supposed to have a redesigned wad to promote slightly higher pattern percentages. I believe it was a bit stiffer too. Kay O shot them by the ton!!

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The old Black AAs I saw some had Nickel Plated Shot you could see the silver streak at night My guess is 1310fps for the Black ones.

These shells had special 3 legged wads and only partially slit wads for tighter patterns, which added to recoil

These Black Shells had 6% Antimony hard shot, Will pattern with the AA Super Hdcps of today.

Never had to oppurtunity to shoot any of the X-Pert Mark 5s, was shooting Remington All Americans and Red AAs. Shot in the Mark 5s is softer shot less than 3% Antimony.

Patterns will be poor on the Mark 5s

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

1350fps +/- 90fps SAAMI dram equivalent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.